Cheesy Sausage and Spinach Dip – gooey cheese dip with sausage, Rotel, and spinach! It’s always a party favorite!
This post originally published January 2017. Updated January 2018 and I still hate the pictures so maybe we’ll just try again every January until I like them.
Hi guys, how’s the week?
You guys, my 2nd grader had his 1st semester award ceremony on Monday and I balled like a baby.
Like, I get it, honor roll is a big deal and I know every parent in the room was proud as could be but I was the only one full on sobbing in the back row.
I drowned my feelings in melted cheese and tortilla chips because what else would I do?
I have been making this Cheesy Sausage and Spinach Dip for several years now and it is one of my favorite dips for parties. It used to be my go to when we hosted people for football because I could prep it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when everyone got here.
It’s a little bit spicy and it’s gooey and delicious and the makes it just different enough from the standard sausage dip.
Plus? No velveeta!
I know it’s not very pretty but I swear it’s delicious.
How To Make Cheesy Sausage Spinach Dip
- Olive oil
- Mild Italian sausage – you can use hot Italian sausage if you want a lot of spice in your dip
- White onion
- Cream cheese – this is going to make it so creamy and delicious!
- Rotel – I used the original Rotel but you can use the mild if you want it less spicy or the spicy if you want more spicy.
- Frozen chopped spinach – using frozen spinach is so much easier than fresh, just make sure you squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Monterey jack cheese – you can also use cheddar if you prefer the taste of cheddar cheese.
- Tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mild Italian sausage and diced onion. Cook, breaking up the sausage, until the onion is translucent and the sausage is cooked through. Drain and return to pan.
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add cream cheese, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and chopped spinach. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in about half of the shredded monterey jack. Transfer mixture to an 8×8-inch pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes, until bubbly.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.
This dip will be fine in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container (these glass containers are my favorite for all leftovers) to keep it good for as long as possible.
I recommend reheating in the microwave but you could also use the oven or even put it on warm in a slow cooker.
You can freeze this dip for up to 3 months. Let it cool completely and then put it in an airtight freezer-safe container.
When you are ready to serve it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave.
More Dip Recipes
- Creamy Jalapeño Dip
- 7-Layer Chili Dog Dip
- Muffuletta Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Layered Ranch Taco Dip
- Chicken Burrito Dip
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained well
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mild Italian sausage and diced onion. Cook, breaking up the sausage, until the onion is translucent and the sausage is cooked through. Drain and return to pan. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cream cheese, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and chopped spinach. Stir until cream cheese is melted. Remove from heat and stir in about half of the shredded monterey jack.
- Transfer mixture to an 8x8-inch pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until bubbly. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 710mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g