Is anyone else finding it increasingly harder to get out of bed as they get older?
I’ve spent most of my life assuming that waking up early would eventually just come naturally to me. I remember waking up for high school and my dad would’ve already put gas in both mine and my mom’s cars, gotten the dishes done, and would be outside throwing the ball for the dogs. All this before 7 am.
One day – I knew it – I would be awesome at mornings.
And it’s just not happening for me. I am like a child counting down the days until school is over so I no longer have to get up before the sun. It’s bad.
But if you’ve gotta get up early, you might as well make a yummy breakfast, right? I’m still obsessed with almond meal so the idea of a waffle made with the stuff was really appealing. And it was everything I’d hoped for and more.
Topped with some sliced banana and maple syrup, these were the perfect breakfast. And a good reason to get out of bed really stinkin’ early.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ½ cup sliced raw almonds
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond meal/flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Spread the sliced almonds on a cookie sheet, and toast 325 degrees for about 5 minutes, stirring once, until they begin to get golden. Remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and almond extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated.
- Heat your waffle iron and brush with a little vegetable oil. Pour about ⅓ - ½ cup batter onto the hot waffle iron.
- Cook until the iron stops steaming or longer if you like yours a little crispy.
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds on top before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 11g