Autumn Squash Soup (Panera Copycat) – this is the best fall soup and so easy! Vegetarian and full of butternut squash and pumpkin!
Heeeey guys! I feel like I haven’t talked to you in forever.
I’ve been in a weird funk the past month and haven’t been cooking or blogging or anything.
And then that post I put up Monday was written months ago. Which is why I shared a cole slaw recipe in fall. It’s fine, cole slaw is delicious all year long! Especially with barbecue!
Speaking of, I had the best barbecue over the weekend at Black’s BBQ down in Austin.
I was down there on Friday morning for a work thing and then when it was time to come home and get the kids, I realized I wasn’t ready to be back in Fort Hood so I grabbed them and we drove back to Austin and had barbecue and ice cream and stayed out way past bedtime.
The brisket was seriously spectacular. And the mac & cheese? Uhhh-mazing.
And then the ice cream was from Spun Ice Cream which I’ve been dying to visit for months. They do the liquid nitrogen thing and I think it is the coolest thing ever. Plus, they use local dairy and only the best ingredients.
I had the horchata ice cream (I’m obsessed with horchata right now) with peanut brittle. So good. And they gave me a punch card which means I now have to stop every time I’m down in Austin.
How To Make Autumn Squash Soup!
Keeping with the restaurant theme, my alltime favorite soup is Panera’s Autumn Squash Soup. I think I went there 3 times a week last fall for a cup. It’s an addiction.
But I finally got the recipe just right! It tastes exactly like Panera’s soup.
So it’s butternut squash and pumpkin puree mixed with veggie broth, apple juice, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of heavy cream stirred in at the end. And then you top it with pumpkin seeds for a bit of a crunch. It’s so perfect.
I went through this batch in 2 days.
Gonna make it again tomorrow.
Can You Freeze Autumn Squash Soup?
Yes, you can freeze Autumn Squash Soup. However, I wouldn’t add the cream until you defrost it and get ready to serve it. Make sure you put the soup in an airtight, freezer-safe container. And consume within 3 months.
To defrost, you can leave it in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove or slow cooker.
How Long Is Autumn Squash Soup Good For?
Autumn Squash Soup should be good for up to a week when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Pasta Fagioli
- Sausage, Lentil, and Kale Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Black Bean Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- pumpkin seeds, for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add butternut squash, pumpkin puree, vegetarian broth, apple juice, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and lower to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes, until the butternut squash is fork tender. Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend in batches until smooth. Transfer back to the pot and stir in heavy cream. Heat through.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 403mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
Things you may need for this recipe: