Autumn Squash Soup (Panera Copycat) – this is the best fall soup and so easy! Vegetarian and full of butternut squash and pumpkin!
Heeeey guys! I feel like I haven’t talked to you in forever.
I’ve been in a weird funk the past month and haven’t been cooking or blogging or anything.
And then that post I put up Monday was written months ago. Which is why I shared a cole slaw recipe in fall. It’s fine, cole slaw is delicious all year long! Especially with barbecue!
Speaking of, I had the best barbecue over the weekend at Black’s BBQ down in Austin.
I was down there on Friday morning for a work thing and then when it was time to come home and get the kids, I realized I wasn’t ready to be back in Fort Hood so I grabbed them and we drove back to Austin and had barbecue and ice cream and stayed out way past bedtime.
The brisket was seriously spectacular. And the mac & cheese? Uhhh-mazing.
And then the ice cream was from Spun Ice Cream which I’ve been dying to visit for months. They do the liquid nitrogen thing and I think it is the coolest thing ever. Plus, they use local dairy and only the best ingredients.
I had the horchata ice cream (I’m obsessed with horchata right now) with peanut brittle. So good. And they gave me a punch card which means I now have to stop every time I’m down in Austin.
Keeping with the restaurant theme, my alltime favorite soup is Panera’s Autumn Squash Soup. I think I went there 3 times a week last fall for a cup. It’s an addiction.
But I finally got the recipe just right! It tastes exactly like Panera’s soup.
I went through this batch in 2 days.
Gonna make it again tomorrow.
- Butternut squash
- Pumpkin puree – NOT pumpkin pie filling!
- Vegetable broth – can substitute chicken broth if you aren’t trying to keep it vegetarian
- Apple juice
- Curry powder
- Heavy cream
- Pumpkin seeds
How To Make Autumn Squash Soup
- Heat coconut oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat
- Add onion and cook until softened
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, until fragrant
- Add cubed butternut squash, pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, apple juice, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, and salt and pepper
- Simmer for 15 minutes, until the butternut squash is fork tender
- Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) and blend until smooth
- Stir in heavy cream and heat through
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds before serving
Can You Freeze Autumn Squash Soup?
Yes, you can freeze Autumn Squash Soup. However, I wouldn’t add the cream until you defrost it and get ready to serve it. Make sure you put the soup in an airtight, freezer-safe container. And consume within 3 months.
To defrost, you can leave it in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove or slow cooker.
How Long Is Autumn Squash Soup Good For?
Autumn Squash Soup should be good for up to a week when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Pasta Fagioli
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- pumpkin seeds, for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add butternut squash, pumpkin puree, vegetarian broth, apple juice, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and lower to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes, until the butternut squash is fork tender. Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend until smooth. Stir in heavy cream. Heat through.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 10gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g