Banana Split Ice Cream – homemade ice cream with banana, marshmallows, pineapple, and maraschino cherries. Top it with chocolate syrup and sprinkles for the perfect banana split treat!
Every year around this time, my blog becomes less about sweets and more about savory – dinners, salads, things like that. I think the weather is to blame. The warmer weather means that I no longer crave cupcakes and cookies and other comforting goodies. Every once in awhile, I do try to make something special for the kids (really, the husband) so they don’t revolt.
I asked my husband what kind of ice cream he’d like me to make and he, of course, wanted strawberry even though we already have strawberry ice cream in the freezer! Men. He finally decided on banana split and I have always loved Blue Bell’s version so I was pretty excited.
The beginning of this recipe is a little weird – it starts with water – but it really turned out well. The base has marshmallows melted into it which I don’t think is traditional in a banana split but hey, who am I to say no to marshmallow ice cream? It also has crushed pineapple, banana, and maraschino cherries. And you top it all off with chocolate syrup and sprinkles.
This recipe does make a ton and I ended up having to freeze it in 2 batches but no one complained about the large amount of ice cream when it was done. You can always cut the recipe in half if you want. But why would you?!
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream
- Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- Ginger Peach Ice Cream
- Coffee Ice Cream
- Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Banana Split Ice Cream
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 can, 8 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 medium ripe bananas, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Chocolate syrup and sprinkles, for serving
- Bring the sugar, water, and milk to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Reduce heat; cook until sugar is dissolved. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from the heat; cool for 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Stir in the pineapple, bananas and cherries. Fold in whipped cream. Fill bowl of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow firm up in the freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Serve with chocolate syrup and sprinkles, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g
Nutmeg Nanny says
I am loving this, I have to try this out :)
[email protected] says
this is a must make for me this summer!
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
My husband would flip if I made this. Flip.
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I want ice cream all the time. I only wish I didn’t crave cupcakes, cookies, and all that in summer! This ice cream is fab!
[email protected] says
Banana splits are the best! Love all of the flavors wrapped up into one ice cream!
My family loves banana splits…this is amazing!
Aimee @ ShugarySweets says
Loving this ice cream. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to ditch the savories for this recipe!
We both posted ice cream today – great minds :) Love yours, I’ve never seen anything like this and it sounds amazing!