This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KingsfordFlavor #CollectiveBias
Blackened Chicken and Quinoa Salad – quinoa topped with blackened chicken, avocado, mango, bell peppers, corn, blueberries, feta, and a lime vinaigrette!
We are officially two days away from one of the biggest grilling holidays. How excited are you? Hopefully as excited as I am.
We’ve already talked about how much I love the 4th of July but what I haven’t told you is that I’m approaching the holiday with a game plan. Because I have s’mores on my brain and I cannot even wait to roast a million marshmallows over the grill and then smush them in between graham crackers with all sorts of chocolate.
So my game plan is to cook healthy for our cookout to save calories/stomach space for the s’mores.
Enter this salad. I’ll be making this Blackened Chicken and Quinoa Salad because it’s healthy and filling and it has tons of flavors, textures, and basically all my favorite things.
Blackened Chicken and Quinoa Salad!
So the base is quinoa and it’s tossed with a cilantro lime dressing. And then on top of that you put your Blackened Chicken. This grilled chicken is SO perfect. I used thighs because we prefer it over breasts but use what you like.
The chicken is rubbed with a delicious mixture of spices and herbs and then it’s grilled until blackened. We’ve been grilling thighs like this every weekend to throw over salads and such during the week.
And then on top of the chicken, you layer avocado slices, mango, grilled corn, blueberries, feta, and more cilantro. I’m telling you, so much flavor going on here.
More Quinoa Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the quinoa:
- 2 cups quinoa, cook according to package instructions
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
For the salad:
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 grilled corn on the cob, corn kernels removed
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
To grill the chicken
- Heat your grill to medium-high.
- In a small bowl, whisk together paprika, cumin, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Rub onto all sides of chicken.
- Grill until the chicken is blackened and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before slicing.
To prepare the quinoa:
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Whisk in cilantro. Pour over quinoa, a little at a time until it reaches your desired amount, and stir to combine.
- Spoon the quinoa onto your serving plate. Arrange the sliced chicken, sliced avocado, diced mango, diced bell pepper, corn kernels, blueberries, feta cheese, and cilantro over the quinoa.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 25g