Blueberry Lemon Sweet Rolls – delicious sweet rolls filled with lemon zest and blueberries and topped with a lemon cream cheese glaze! The perfect weekend breakfast.
We’ve spent a full week in the hotel now. You know how these things start out super fun and then by day 5 you really feel like you’ve lost your mind? That happened.
If I channeled my inner Bridget Jones and wrote about each day, diary-style, it’d look a little something like this:
Day 1: THIS IS SO MUCH FUN! ADVENTURES! EXCITEMENT!
Day 2: Still fun! Free breakfast! Free Nutrigrain bars!
Day 3: A queen bed is definitely not big enough for 3 people and a Clementine.
Day 4: Penelope pooped for the first time since we moved into the hotel. Hooray! Husband still not cleared to leave. FML.
Day 5: Shattered my iPhone screen. FML.
Day 6: Almost went to jail after dog park incident. FML.
Today’s day 7. I think we’re leaving this morning. Maybe.
I never thought I’d be excited to leave Colorado.
Anyway, it hasn’t all been bad. The weather’s been amazing! The hotel on Fort Carson has playgrounds so the kids have been entertained besides that one day when it randomly snowed.
Also, how did anyone travel before WiFi?
I would have never survived. I think about the days when my parents had a legit map in the car when we went on vacay… like, my nightmare.
So like I said, if my husband is finally cleared to leave, we’re making the drive to Texas today and we’re gonna hustle so we can get there in time to grab In-n-Out for dinner.
You better believe that In-n-Out is the most exciting thing about moving to Texas! I’m gonna be there every day.
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Sweet Rolls!
I made these Blueberry Lemon Sweet Rolls with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze a few weeks back and meant to have them posted before Easter so you could make them for your family but man, hotel life.
These are so good though!
They start with a yeast dough, very similar to a cinnamon roll dough. You have to let the dough rise for about an hour, or until it’s doubled in size. Then you roll it out just like you would do with cinnamon rolls.
Once the dough is rolled, it gets spread with butter and then dusted with sugar and lemon zest. And then blueberries go in! Roll it up and slice them into rolls and then you have to let them rise one more time.
Bake them until they are golden and beautiful and then frost them with an amazing cream cheese glaze with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest mixed in.
These are so good and perfect for a day when you have a little bit longer to prepare breakfast. Or just make them for dessert!
More Blueberry Breakfast Recipes
- Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes
- Glazed Blueberry Biscuits
- Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Lemon Bread
For the dough:
- 2 cups milk, warmed to about 100F
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 .25 ounce package active-dry yeast
- 4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- ¼ cup ½ stick butter, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup, fresh or frozen blueberries
For the glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine milk, sugar, canola oil, and yeast. Let sit until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add flour slowly and beat until combined. Switch to dough hook and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Spray a large bowl with oil and transfer the dough into it, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll into a 10x15" rectangle. Spread softened butter over top. Sprinkle sugar and lemon zest over the butter and top with the blueberries. Roll it up jelly roll style, pinching to seal. Slice into 12 rolls and place in a greased 9x13" pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Bake rolls for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- While they are baking, beat together the softened cream cheese, lemon juice, powdered sugar, and lemon zest until smooth.
- Once the rolls come out of the oven, spread the glaze over top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 8g