Slow Cooker Pork and Butternut Squash Stew is comfort in a bowl! It’s made in the slow cooker so it is perfect for a weeknight dinner during the chilly months.
This is one of my favorite dinners during the cold months. Chunks of pork, butternut squash, a little sweetness from apple juice, and a little heat from red pepper flakes.
It just tastes like fall in a bowl.
And it’s all made in the slow cooker so it’s super easy! AND the cut of pork I used for this recipe is always on sale so it’s a fairly inexpensive dinner.
I like to serve it with rice so the rice can soak up all the soupy goodness but it’s also delicious on it’s own.
- Pork shoulder roast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Butternut squash
- Apple juice
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Italian seasoning
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley
- Brown pork. In a large bowl, toss the pork shoulder chunks, flour, salt, and pepper together until the pork is well coated. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the pork and brown on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add ingredients to slow cooker. Add onion, butternut squash, apple juice, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
- Slow cook. Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
- Serve. Serve with cooked rice if desired. Sprinkle with parsley.
How Long Is It Good For?
This stew will be good for 3 days in the fridge. Make sure to store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
I recommend reheating it on the stovetop when you are ready to serve.
Can You Freeze It?
You can freeze this pork and butternut squash stew for up to 3 months. Let it cool completely and then transfer to an airtight soup container.
When you are ready to serve it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove or even in the slow cooker. If it seems to have thickened too much in the freezer, add more broth or water to get it back to it’s original consistency.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Beer and Brown Sugar Kielbasa
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider Braised Pork
- Slow Cooker Apple Kielbasa Bites
- Crockpot Cheeseburgers
- Crockpot Spicy Italian Drip Beef Sandwiches
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 ½ pound pork shoulder roast, cut into bite-size chunks
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss the chunks of Smithfield All Natural Fresh Shoulder Roast, flour, salt, and pepper together until the pork is well coated.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the pork and brown on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Add onion, butternut squash, apple juice, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
- Serve with cooked rice if desired. Sprinkle with parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g