This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SmithfieldCares #CollectiveBias
Okay guys, real talk.
I broke the driver’s side window of my car.
“How’d you manage that one, Amanda?”
Well, it’s a Wrangler so the windows unzip and the zipper broke.
Okay, fine, I broke both zippers. Which is okay most of the time since I normally have at least the back windows off anyway. But y’all, it’s cold in the mornings and at night in central Texas now. I was shivering on my way back from Austin last week.
An hour and a half at 75 MPH with the window down at 10 pm?
It was cold.
All that to tell you that I’m all in on warm and cozy comfort foods right now. I’ve even switched to hot coffee and you know that doesn’t happen until December most years!
Anyway, I picked up this Smithfield All Natural Fresh Shoulder Roast at Walmart specifically to make something comfort-y earlier this week.
Also, I’m obsessed with butternut squash right now and have you ever had pork and squash together? My favorite combo!
So I made this delicious stew with the Smithfield All Natural Fresh Shoulder Roast and the squash and then some apple juice, chicken broth, and my favorite thing to pair with squash: Italian seasoning. You already know sage is great with squash but seriously, everything in Italian seasoning is perfect with it.
All you have to do is brown the meat and then add everything to your slow cooker! You’ll have a delicious and comforting stew waiting for you when you get home from work. Serve it on top of rice or by itself – it’s delicious either way.
PS. My kids won’t eat squash so I told them it was sweet potato and they didn’t leave a drop in their bowls!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 2 ½ pound Smithfield All Natural Fresh Shoulder Roast, cut into 1 inch chunks
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss the chunks of Smithfield All Natural Fresh Shoulder Roast, flour, salt, and pepper together until the pork is well coated.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the pork and brown on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Add onion, butternut squash, apple juice, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
- Serve with cooked rice if desired. Sprinkle with parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g