Candied Apple Chips – crunchy baked apple slices! The perfect snack for kids and adults.
Back in our childless days I opened a Starbucks every morning which means I was usually off work hours before my husband came home. He used to joke that he knew everyday he’d come home to find me either asleep on the couch or on our back porch with my computer on my lap and a giant bag of apple chips in my hand.
Apple chips were a real addiction of mine but I haven’t really given them much thought since those days until I saw Tracey make some Candied Apple Chips a few weeks back.
And just like everything else Tracey makes, I couldn’t get them out of my head. I made them as an afterschool snack for my kiddos last week and they were eating them as fast as they came out of the oven. I think we went through 4 apples!
It’s really simple and you’ll see that it’s the world’s shortest ingredient list – just 3 things! And one ingredient is water!
The apple is sliced really thin with a mandoline slicer and then boiled in a simple syrup before being baked. It only took about 30 minutes from start to finish.
More Apple Recipes
- Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Crumble
- Apple Upside Down Side Cake
- Apple Fritters
- Blackberry and Apple Crumble
- Deep Dish Apple Pie
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 small apple
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place a wire rack inside of a rimmed baking sheet and spray lightly with a nonstick spray.
- Use a mandoline to make really thin slices of apple. There is no need to core and peel the apple but make sure you remove any seeds.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the apple slices and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the slices are translucent. Use tongs to remove the slices from the syrup and place them on the wire rack in a single layer. (You can discard the syrup or save it - it's amazing apple-flavored simple syrup!)
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until they're golden.The chips may not be crisp at this point but they will crisp up almost as soon as you pull them out of the oven. Transfer the chips to a sheet of wax paper and let them cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 2gSugar: 108gProtein: 0g