Simple and delicious Apple Upside Down Cake! Moist cinnamon-spiced cake topped with apples in a buttery brown sugar sauce.
Hi guys, happy almost Friday!
Not to be dramatic but this Apple Upside Down Cake is my favorite thing I’ve made in forever.
And you know that I don’t usually like any dessert with fruit.
But see, I’ve been craving pineapple upside down cake for literally months now and I was too lazy to make one so I finally broke down and bought one last week while I was in the middle of a week long argument with the boyfriend.
And then I couldn’t even enjoy it because I was too busy saying things like, “I keep dreaming about these giant bugs and google tells me that means I have anxiety and you won’t kill them for me!”
And no, the argument wasn’t about the bugs.
That just happened to come up.
A few times.
I’ve been counting down the days until honeycrisps aren’t 5 bucks a pound.
I don’t care about apples all year long but as soon as honeycrisps are cheap, I’ve got a fridge full of apples and enough honeycrisp sangria for the entire neighborhood.
So yeah, I’m into apples right now.
How To Make Apple Upside Down Cake!
This is the easiest cake and it’s so delicious.
The topping is just melted butter and brown sugar and then you arrange a sliced apple on top of that. Super simple cinnamon-spiced cake batter goes on top of that and then just bake it for 35 minutes.
And then, if you want to, dust it with powdered sugar once it’s cool. Totally delicious without it but prettier for Instagram with it.
But yeah, this is the kind of cake that you can have for breakfast and not require a nap afterwards. And breakfast cake is my favorite cake.
More Apple Recipes
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie
- Lazy Apple Pie Cake
- Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Crumble
- Blackberry and Apple Crumble
For the topping:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
For the cake:
- 12 tablespoons 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Spray the sides with oil. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, stir together butter, brown sugar, and salt until butter and sugar are melted. Pour into the cake pan. Top with sliced apples.
- In a mixing bowl, beat melted butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add milk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until no lumps remain. Add to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the batter over the apples and use a rubber spatula to smooth it out.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes in pan on top of wire rack. Run a knife around the outside of the cake to loose any stuck edges. Flip onto a plate. Let cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g