Cashew Chicken Casserole – your favorite takeout as an easy casserole! Chicken, rice, and veggies in a delicious savory sauce. And topped with crunchy chow mein noodles and cashews!
Heeeeeey guys! Happy almost Friday!
I cooked dinner last night. Like, a real dinner. Not putting random blog things on a plate and calling it dinner.
And then I went to Whataburger after the kids were in bed because I am 100% totally absolutely going to eat healthy starting today and I had to have one more burger. And fries. And maybe some Cadbury Crunchie Biscuits. Now I’m ready to be healthy!
I give it 3 days before I’m in the In-N-Out drive thru at midnight.
So anyway, dinner! I made this Cashew Chicken Cassrole for the kids and they loved it!
Cashew chicken was my go-to Chinese food order in Colorado and I think I had it at least once a month for all 4 years we were there. It was so good there. Packed full of veggies – I mean, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, celery, peppers, and even water chestnuts.
I wanted to make something kind of like that but a little more kid-friendly so I left out the mushrooms and the zucchini (because my kids won’t eat them) but feel free to add them or any other veggie! The sauce is delicious and tastes just like the one from my fave restaurant and my kids loved all the crunchy chow mein noodles and cashews on top.
This is a easy, healthy meal that the whole family will love.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Chicken broth
- Hoisin sauce
- Fresh ginger
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Black pepper
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Green bell pepper
- Cooked brown rice
- Chow mein noodles
- Green onions
- To make sauce, whisk chicken broth, hoisin, ginger, cornstarch, crushed red pepper, and black pepper together; set aside
- In a large skillet, cook chicken until browned; remove to a plate
- In the same skillet, cook onion, celery, carrots, and bell pepper until softened
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds
- Stir in sauce and cook until sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes
- Stir in chicken and cooked rice
- Transfer to an 8×8-inch baking dish and bake 15 minutes
- Sprinkle chow mein noodles and cashews on top
- Bake another 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with green onions before serving
More Chicken Recipes
- Bourbon Chicken
- Honey Chicken
- Chicken Marsala
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless breats, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, mined
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8-inch dish with cooking spray.
- To make the sauce, whisk together chicken broth, hoisin, ginger, cornstarch, red pepper, and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, turning once. Remove to a plate; add onion, celery, carrots, and pepper to the skillet. Cook until the veggies have softened; add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant. Stir in sauce and cook until sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken and rice.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle chow mein noodles and cashews and bake another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g