Sweet and Sour Chicken tastes just like takeout! Chicken is quickly browned and then baked in a delicious, sticky sweet and sour sauce!
I also have a Sweet and Sour Pork recipe!
I have recently developed a severe aversion to any recipe that calls for ketchup.
Weird because I heart ketchup and some of my family’s favorite recipes in the past have used the stuff!
But for some reason, I just don’t love the idea of using it these days.
I told you guys that I’ve been having real trouble cooking actual meals, huh?
I’m trying to break the bad habits because… well, for one, they’re bad. And two, eventually I will have to get back to cooking actual meals on an actual normal person schedule. Yesterday I realized that I had all the ingredients for this recipe (including ketchup) and knew it would be a guaranteed winner with my kids.
It was, as expected, well received.
I halved the recipe and between my two older kids, there were zero leftovers. The sauce tastes exactly like Chinese takeout sweet and sour! I hadn’t really expected much because of the whole ketchup thing so I was shocked at how similar it was. This one will definitely be made frequently around here.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – you can use thighs if you prefer.
- Salt + pepper
- Cornstarch – this is going to give the chicken a light, crispy coating.
- Eggs – these are being used in the coating for the chicken.
- Canola or vegetable oil – the chickens are getting fried in this oil so you want something neutral flavored, not an olive oil or coconut oil.
- Sugar – the sweet part of the sauce!
- White vinegar – the sour part of the sauce!
- Soy sauce
- Garlic salt – if you don’t have garlic salt, use garlic powder and salt.
Keep scrolling for ingredient amounts!
How To Make Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Prepare chicken. Cut your chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare coating. Put the cornstarch in a pie plate (or something similar). In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Coat chicken. Coat the chicken pieces with cornstarch, then dip into the eggs.
- Fry chicken. Heat your ¼ cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides but not cooked through.
- Make sauce. While your chicken is cooking, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Transfer. When chicken is browned, transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish. Pour the sauce over top.
- Bake. Bake at 325F for one hour; stirring the chicken every 15 minutes.
- Serve. Serve over rice.
How Long Is It Good For?
Sweet and sour chicken is good for up to 3 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can reheat it in the microwave when you are ready to serve.
More Chicken Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt + pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with oil.
- Cut your chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the cornstarch in a pie plate (or something similar). In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Coat the chicken pieces with cornstarch, then dip into the eggs.
- Heat your ¼ cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides but not cooked through.
- While your chicken is cooking, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- When chicken is browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish. Pour the sauce over top.
- Bake for one hour; stirring the chicken every 15 minutes. Serve over rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 637Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 1029mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 39g