A must make for cherry Coke lovers! Chocolate cupcakes with cherry juice, Coca Cola, and a cherry in the center. These Cherry Coke Cupcakes start with a cake mix so they are really quick and easy!
Cherry Coke Cupcakes
My forever favorite drink is a cherry Coke. There is truly nothing better than a icy Sonic Coke with cherry syrup in it. And then a maraschino cherry to top it all off.
These Cherry Coke Cupcakes have the flavors of cherry coke but also have chocolate added! So they are extra amazing.
They start with a chocolate cake mix so they are quick and easy but still so delicious!
If you are a cherry coke fan like me, you have to try these cupcakes!
- Devil’s food cake mix – you can use any chocolate cake mix that you prefer, Devil’s food is just my favorite
- Maraschino cherries – this recipe uses the cherries and the cherry juice. Cherries and cherry juice both go into the cupcakes and more cherry juice goes into the frosting. Plus, the cupcakes get topped with a cherry!
- Coca Cola – you can use any cola flavored soda that you like. The soda adds flavor and acts as a leavening agent in the cupcakes to make them light and fluffy.
- Vegetable oil – these cupcakes call for vegetable oil which makes a fluffier cupcake than butter.
- Eggs – make sure they are at room temperature before you bake.
- Butter – this is going in the cherry frosting.
- Powdered sugar
- Sprinkles or chocolate shavings – optional but they make for pretty cupcakes! I used a microplane to shave chocolate over these but you can use chocolate sprinkles if you want!
How To Make Cherry Coke Cupcakes
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Make cupcakes batter. In a large bowl, beat together the food cake mix, cola, ¼ cup reserved cherry liquid, oil, and eggs until just combined with a whisk.
- Fill. Fill liners ⅔ full and add 1 maraschino cherry to the middle of each.
- Bake. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Make frosting. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add the remaining reserved cherry juice slowly, until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Decorate. Frost each cupcake. Top cupcakes with sprinkles or chocolate shavings. Add a cherry and serve!
Cupcakes are good for up to 3 days at room temperature. Make sure to store them in an airtight container.
They will be fine for up to 5 days in the refrigerator but storing them in the fridge will suck some of the moisture out.
You can freeze the unfrosted cupcakes for up to 3 months. I recommend wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and then placing in a freezer ziploc bag.
Let them defrost at room temperature for several hours before frosting and serving.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pink Velvet Funfetti Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Apple Spice Cupcakes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix
- 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained, ½ cup liquid reserved
- 1 cup Coca Cola
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
For the cherry frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup reserved cherry juice
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems, well drained
- Sprinkles or chocolate shavings, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the food cake mix, cola, ¼ cup reserved cherry liquid, oil, and eggs until just combined with a whisk.
- Fill liners ⅔ full and add 1 maraschino cherry to the middle of each.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, use an electric mixer to cream the butter. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the remaining reserved cherry juice slowly, until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost each cupcake.
- Top cupcakes with sprinkles or chocolate shavings. Add a cherry and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g