The cutest Valentine’s Day cupcakes! Pink Velvet Funfetti Cupcakes start with a cake mix but taste like something from your favorite bakery. Plus, they are topped with whipped buttercream frosting and lots of sprinkles.
I know I say every holiday is my favorite but Valentine’s Day is for sure my favorite. An excuse to make pink cupcakes?! And then cover them in pink sprinkles?!
What’s not to love?
Why You’re Going to Love This Recipe
- Cake mix! That’s number one. It makes this recipe so quick and easy.
- Pink cupcakes are perfect for Valentine’s Day and other occasions, like a baby shower, birthday party, or Easter! Who doesn’t love funfetti cupcakes, especially when they’re pink?!
- The pink velvet cake is so moist and delicious – these cupcakes really do taste like a fancy bakery cupcake.
Ingredients for Pink Velvet Cupcakes
Keep scrollng for ingredient amounts!
- White cake mix – make sure it’s a white cake mix and not yellow
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream – don’t worry, your cupcakes won’t taste like sour cream, the sour cream makes them really moist and delicious
- Egg whites – using egg whites instead of whole eggs makes the cupcakes light and fluffy
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Pink food gel coloring
- Pink and purple sprinkles
How To Make Pink Velvet Funfetti Cupcakes
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners
- Combine dry ingredients. Whisk together, cake mix, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt
- Add wet ingredients. Add in water, sour cream, egg whites, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until everything has been combined
- Add the color. Add 3 drops of pink food gel coloring to the cupcake batter, and mix.
- And sprinkles! Stir in sprinkles to the batter.
- Divide into muffin cups. Pour or spoon batter into the lined cupcake pan. Make sure to only fill about ⅔ of the cupcake liner, since the batter will rise a bit.
- Bake and cool. Bake in preheated oven for 22 minutes or until the center is baked. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Ingredients for Whipped Buttercream
- Unsalted butter
- Shortening – you can use all butter if you don’t like to use shortening. Just use an equal amount of butter
- Clear vanilla extract – you want to use clear so the vanilla doesn’t tint the frosting
- Confectioners sugar
How To Make Buttercream Whipped Frosting
- Combine wet ingredients. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add in milk and vanilla extract.
- Add sugar. Add in confectioners sugar a little at a time.
- Adjust. If frosting is too thick you can add 1 teaspoon of milk until you have reached the texture you are looking for.
- Keep mixing to whip frosting. Mix frosting for another 3 minutes.
How Long Are They Good For?
These cupcakes are good for up to 3 days. Make sure to store them in an airtight container.
Storing them in the refrigerator will get you another day or 2 but it will also dry them out. I definitely recommend you bring them to room temperature before serving them.
What Piping Tip For Cupcakes
If you want that bakery cupcake look at home, I recommend 2A, 1M, 6B, and 2D. I love this piping tip set for cupcakes.
Where To Find Valentine’s Sprinkles
I find most of my holiday sprinkles at Walmart or Target in their holiday section. You can also find them at craft stores like Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, or Jo-Ann’s Fabrics.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes
- Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops pink food gel coloring
- ½ cup pink and purple sprinkles
Buttercream whipped frosting
- 1 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ¾ cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Candy hearts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set it aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together, cake mix, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt.
3. With an electric hand mixer or a kitchen aid mix dry ingredients on low.
4. Slowly, add in water, sour cream, egg whites, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until everything has been combined.
5. Add 3 drops of pink food gel coloring to the cupcake batter, and mix.
6. Stir in sprinkles to the batter.
7. Pour or spoon batter into the lined cupcake pan. Make sure to only fill about ⅔ of the cupcake
liner, since the batter will rise a bit.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 22 minutes or until the center is baked.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
10. While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.
11. With an electric hand mixer or a kitchen aid, mix together butter and shortening until smooth
and creamy, about 3 minutes.
12. Add in milk and vanilla extract.
13. Slowly, add in confectioners sugar a little at a time. If frosting is too thick you can add 1 teaspoon of milk until you have reached the texture you are looking for. Mix frosting for another 3 minutes.
14. Add frosting to a piping bag and pipe cupcakes.
15. Top with sprinkles or candy hearts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 0gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g