Sweet and tart lemon cupcakes topped with strawberry buttercream! These Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes start with a boxed cake mix so they are just as easy as they are delicious.
I love strawberry cake for spring and summer! Some of my other favorites are Strawberry Upside Down Cake and Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake.
Have you ever seen a more summery cupcake?!
You are going to love these Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes – or Pink Lemonade Cupcakes – when you need a quick, easy, and delicious dessert for a barbecue or pool party!
The cupcakes themselves start with a cake mix so they are super easy and fast to put together.
And the frosting! This recipe uses a shortcut so you won’t have to puree and strain a bunch of strawberries. Because there is nothing worse than having to push puree through a mesh strainer when you are trying to get something done quickly.
Ingredients for Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Lemon boxed cake mix – this is why these cupcakes are so easy! We’re taking a regular ol’ box of lemon cake mix and turning it into strawberry lemonade cupcakes!
- Whole milk – you can use nondairy milk if you prefer.
- Unsalted butter – butter is going in the cupcakes and the frosting.
- Strawberry jam – you are going to use strawberry jam for a fast and easy way to turn regular vanilla frosting into strawberry frosting.
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Red food coloring – you can leave this out if you want. The strawberry jam will tint the frosting slightly but if you want the bright pink, you will need to use some food coloring.
Instructions for Lemon Cupcakes
- Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- Make cake batter. Combine cake mix, eggs, melted butter, and milk.
- Fill muffin cups. Fill cups ¾ full with the batter.
- Bake. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool. Let cool completely before frosting.
How To Make Strawberry Buttercream
- Cream butter. Use an electric mixer to cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add flavorings. Add in strawberry jam and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and incorporated.
- Add sugar. Add in your powdered sugar slowly and mix until smooth.
- Add food coloring. Add in your food color drops and mix.
- Decorate. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting, strawberries, and lemon slices.
Cupcakes are fine at room temperature for up to 2 days. Make sure to store them in an airtight container.
They will last longer in the refrigerator but will dry out faster in the fridge.
You can freeze the cupcakes themselves for up to 3 months. I would wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer ziploc bag. Defrost them at room temperature for several hours before frosting and serving.
I don’t recommend freezing cupcakes with the frosting already on top.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pink Velvet Funfetti Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Apple Spice Cupcakes
- Orange Cream Cupcakes
- Hummingbird Cupcakes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
For the cake
- Lemon boxed cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup melted butter
For the frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, melted butter, and whole milk. Mix well.
- Fill cups ¾ full with the batter.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, cream butter in a large mixing bowl with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in strawberry jam and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and incorporated.
- Add in your powdered sugar slowly and mix until smooth. Then add in your food color drops and mix.
- Top cooled cupcakes with frosting, strawberries, and lemon slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This flavor is amazing! Perfect balance of tart and sweet.
Erin | Dinners, Dishes and Dessert says
Everyone at my house was impressed with these cupcakes! I will definitely make these again!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes says
I would love to try these! They are amazing!
katerina @ diethood.com says
Oh my goodness, these cupcakes are super cute! And the flavors are incredible!
This looks SO good! SO excited to make this one of these days.
Perfect cupcake for the spring weather that is approaching. I cannot wait!
I love strawberry lemonade, and I love cupcakes. This seems like a winner to me!