Indulge in the deliciously sweet and tart flavor of homemade Lemon Bars. Made with a buttery shortbread crust and a tangy lemon filling, these easy-to-make bars are the perfect dessert for any occasion.
Lemon bars are one of my favorite desserts for spring. The bright lemony flavor just tastes like warm weather and hanging out outside.
They start with a buttery shortbread crust and get topped with a quick and easy lemon curd filling. Once they are baked and cooled, dust them with powdered sugar and you are ready to serve.
They are perfect for a beginner baker or a pro. And they are sure to be the hit wherever you take them.
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- These lemon bars are sweet, tart, and delicious! They are made with a buttery shortbread crust and a tart lemon filling, which creates a perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors.
- Only 6 ingredients! And they are all super simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Lemon bars are easy to make! You make the simple crust, bake it for a few minutes, pour the filling on top and then bake it all together.
- Butter – this is going in the shortbread crust. Make sure you soften it to room temperature before starting this recipe.
- Flour – this is going in both the crust and the lemon layer.
- Sugar – this is also going in both the crust and the lemon layer.
- Lemons – you will be using the juice and the zest from the lemons. Zest the lemons first before squeezing the juice out.
- Powdered sugar – this gets dusted on top of the finished lemon bars to make them look so delicious.
How To Make Lemon Bars
- Prepare. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Make crust. IMix together the softened butter, flour, and sugar until completely combined.
- Transfer to pan. Pat down into an even layer at the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Make filling. Beat the eggs, lemon juice, granulated sugar, flour, and lemon zest with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Add to crust. Pour the lemon mixture over the warm crust.
- Bake. Place in the oven and bake for an additional 22-24 minutes until set.
- Cool. Let the lemon bars cool completely.
- Add powdered sugar. Sift the powdered sugar over top and slice into squares.
How Long Are Lemon Bars Good For?
Lemon bars can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Make sure to keep them in an airtight container.
You can serve them straight from the fridge or let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or so.
Can You Freeze Lemon Bars?
You can freeze lemon bars for up to 3 months. Make sure they are completely cool and then I would wrap each individual bar in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer ziploc bag.
Let them defrost for a few hours before serving.
If you know ahead of time that you are going to freeze them, don’t dust them with powdered sugar. Once you defrost them, you can dust them with the powdered sugar before serving.
More Lemon Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the crust
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
For the lemon layer
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the softened butter, flour, and sugar until completely combined. Pat down into an even layer at the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Make the filling while the crust is baking.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the eggs, lemon juice, granulated sugar, flour, and lemon zest until frothy. Pour the lemon mixture over the warm crust.
- Place in the oven and bake for an additional 22-24 minutes or until the center doesnt jiggle and the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Let the lemon bars cool completely. You can lift the lemon bars out of the pan by carefully lifting with the parchment paper.
- Sift the powdered sugar over top and slice into squares. enjoy!