Chicken Marsala – pan fried chicken breasts and mushrooms in a rich marsala sauce. Serve over mashed potatoes to soak up all the sauce!
Originally published December 27, 2009. Updated September 9, 2020.
I’m not a huge fan of chicken breasts. The one exception is chicken with mushrooms and some kind of sauce. This Chicken Marsala or Chicken Thighs with Creamy Rosemary Mushrooms are my absolute favorite ways to cook chicken breasts.
I also love this recipe because it’s simple, fairly quick, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.
- Salt and pepper
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- Olive oil
- Marsala wine
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Fresh lemon juice
- Stir together flour and salt and pepper
- Dredge butterflied chicken breasts in the seasoned flour mixture
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet
- Add chicken breasts and cook about 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through; remove to a plate
- Melt butter in the same skillet; add mushrooms
- Cook until mushrooms softened and all the liquid has evaporated
- Remove from heat and add wine, scraping up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan
- Add chicken broth, garlic, and fresh lemon juice
- Bring to a simmer and let cook until slightly thickened
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve chicken with sauce over top
What To Serve with Chicken Marsala?
I suggest mashed potatoes with chicken marsala so the potatoes can soak up all the gravy. I have a roasted garlic mashed potatoes recipe that would be delicious with it.
More Chicken Recipes
- Apple Mustard Chicken Tenders
- Bacon Spinach Feta Chicken
- Orange Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- Chipotle Lime Roasted Chicken
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 5 ounces each, butterflied
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 10 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sweet Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large shallow dish; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, tapping off excess; set aside. Add oil to skillet. When oil is shimmering, add chicken, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn over, and cook 3 minutes more. Remove chicken to a plate; set aside and keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown and all the released liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, and add wine and broth. Return skillet to heat, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add garlic, lemon juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cook for 2 minutes until reduced and slightly thickened. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 1749mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g