I’m starting to realize that I make too many bar cookies. Brownies, blondies, bars, it seems like I’m posting at least one a week. I obviously have a real problem.
These are your average brownies but with peanut butter in the center and swirled on top. They turned out so pretty and I was so excited to take a picture of the entire swirly pan – until my 3 year old decided it was a good idea to stick his finger right in the center of it. I’m hoping you guys can see how pretty the swirls are but if you can’t, just trust me on it.
And how do they taste? Unbelievable. They’re very cakey brownies and the peanut butter is almost like the peanut butter from the Reeses PB Cups but softer. Oh yeah. I will be making them again very soon with the addition of some chopped peanuts. I cannot wait.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
adapted from Martha Stewart
For the batter:
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pan
- 6 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Butter lining (not overhang).
- Make batter: Put butter and chocolates in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk granulated sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs, and whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture; stir until well incorporated.
- Make filling: Stir together butter, confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour one-third of batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Drop dollops of peanut butter filling (about 1 tablespoon each) on top of batter, spacing about 1 inch apart. Drizzle remaining batter on top, and gently spread to fill pan. Drop dollops of remaining filling on top. Gently swirl peanut butter filling into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into brownies comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares