Pecan Pie Ice Cream – rich and creamy homemade ice cream that tastes just like pecan pie! Brown sugar, a little bit of butter, gooey pecan filling, and topped with crisp pie crust!
Happy Sunday! I hope y’all are enjoying the weekend so far!
My friend Brandy is hosting an Ice Cream Social on her blog and I’m here to invite you to the party! I was in a mood for fall (I switched all my wallflowers over to fall scents this week! Leaves is my favorite!) so I made some Pecan Pie Ice Cream!
- Half and Half
- Egg yolks
- Dark corn syrup
- Brown sugar
- Pie dough
- For the ice cream base, bring milk and half and half to a boil
- Meanwhile, beat sugar and egg yolks until light a color
- Gradually add half the hot milk mixture to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly
- Return mixture to pan and cook for 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and chill overnight
- Freeze according to ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions
- For the filling, whisk corn syrup, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a saucepan
- In a separate bowl, whisk together half and half, milk, and egg yolks
- Add milk mixture to brown sugar mixture
- Cook mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes until thick and bubbly, whisk constantly
- Remove from heat; stir in pecans, butter and vanilla
- Chill filling overnight
- To assemble, spoon ice cream into freezer-safe container and gently fold in filling
- Cover and freeze until ice cream is firm
- To make the pie crust toppers, cut pie dough into desired shapes, sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350F for about 12 minutes
The most important thing you need is an ice cream maker! I’ve had this ice cream maker for over 10 years and it still works as well as when it was brand new. Highly recommend!
You also need a freezer-safe container to store the ice cream in. I have 3 of this container because it’s the perfect size for a batch of homemade ice cream and it’s just so cute – looks like a real carton of ice cream but with a pink lid and that makes it better.
I also recommend a heavy bottom saucepan so you don’t scorch your milk. I like to use a sturdy dutch oven for things like this but any saucepan with a thick bottom will do.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream
- Ginger Peach Ice Cream
- King Cake Ice Cream
- Pistachio Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks
- Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- For the ice cream:
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- For the filling:
- ¾ cup dark corn syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- For decorations:
- Pie dough
- Sprinkle of sugar
To prepare ice cream, bring the 4 cups milk and 1 cup half and half to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and egg yolks until light in color. Gradually add half of hot milk mixture to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Return the mixture to pan. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160F, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Cool completely overnight. Freeze according to ice cream manufacturer’s instructions.
To prepare filling, whisk together corn syrup, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan.
In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup half-and-half, ½ cup milk, and 2 egg yolks, stirring well. Add milk mixture to sugar mixture; stir well with a whisk.
Place pan over low heat; cook about 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pecans, butter, and vanilla. Transfer filling to a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly over filling; chill.
Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; gently fold filling into ice cream. Cover and freeze until ice cream is firm.
For Decorations:Cut pie dough into shapes, sprinkled with sugar and baked at 350F for about 12 minutes or until golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 7g