Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole – easy weeknight meal! Ground beef or turkey in a delicious sloppy joe sauce topped with cheese and tater tots! Kids love this one!
Originally posted March 2014. Photos updated April 2016.
I know. It’s way too early in the morning to be talking about things like tater tot casseroles.
I was sick all weekend – all weekend! – and didn’t have time to get a bunch of yummy things baked and photographed. I made this banana bread crumb cake and it’s delicious and amazing but I couldn’t stop coughing long enough to take pictures. Being sick is the worst.
- Olive oil – you can use whatever your preferred cooking oil is.
- Ground beef – you can substitute ground chicken or ground turkey to keep it a litte bit lighter.
- Salt and pepper
- Sloppy joe sauce – the canned kind or if you have a favorite homemade recipe, try that!
- Cream of mushroom soup – the fat free version works fine in this recipe.
- Cheddar cheese – you can’t have tater tot casserole without cheese! I like a sharp cheddar but use your favorite cheddar.
- Tater tots – the most important part of tater tot casserole! You can use the traditional tater tots (like I used here) or the crispy rounds.
How To Make Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- Cook beef. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Brown ground beef, breaking it up, until no pink remains. Drain, return to pan, and season with salt and pepper.
- Make sloppy joe mixture. Add sloppy joe sauce and cream of mushroom sauce to the ground beef. Stir until everything is combined.
- Assemble casserole. Pour mixture into a 9×13-inch pan. Top with sharp cheddar cheese. Arrange tater tots on top.
- Bake casserole. Bake at 350F for about 25 – 30 minutes or until tater tots are cooked and golden brown. Serve hot!
This casserole is good for up to 3 days. Make sure to cover it tightly and store it in the refrigerator.
I like to reheat tater tot casserole in the oven or toaster oven so that the tater tots get a little crispiness to them again.
You can freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. Make sure you use a freezer-safe, airtight container.
When you are ready to bake, you can bake straight from frozen but you will need to add extra baking them. Just keep an eye on it – you want the tater tots browned and the filling bubbly.
If you have time, let it thaw overnight in the fridge and then back it according to the recipe instructions.
More Sloppy Joe Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole - easy weeknight meal! Ground beef or turkey in a delicious sloppy joe sauce topped with cheese and tater tots! Kids love this one!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 15.5 ounce can sloppy joe sauce
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 16 ounce bag tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Brown ground beef, breaking it up, until no pink remains. Drain, return to pan, and season with salt and pepper. Add sloppy joe sauce and cream of mushroom sauce. Stir until everything is combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13-inch pan. Top with sharp cheddar cheese. Arrange tater tots on top.
- Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until tater tots are cooked and golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 1352mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
Trisha Rodriquez says
can you not use the cream of mushroom is there a substitute for it I am allergic
very nice recipe I sprinkle another small amount of cheese over the top also. Seasoning the tots themselves is also a great tater tot hack. thank you
anna Martinez says
Did you use the little can of cream of mushroom or a bigger one?
Just the small one. :)
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
2 of my favorite things- yessssssss
I don’t think it’s ever too early to not be talking about tater tots! I love them! And especially in a delicious casserole sloppy joe form! I hope you are feeling better. Being sick is no fun
Yum Yucky says
Yes yes! Looks delish. I want it.