Queso Fundido – spicy cheese dip with chorizo! Serve with tortilla chips for the perfect party snack!
It’s a happy Monday because Cinco de Mayo is just days away! And I think that you deserve to have chips and Queso Fundido for dinner.
Because why not?
So how was the weekend? It monsooned here in Texas. My entire house filled with a burning smell during the storm and that caused me to call maintenance out here at 11 pm on Friday night and, OF COURSE, the smell was gone by the time they got here.
The maintenance guy was like, “Oh yeah, your neighbors car got struck by lightning… so maybe that was it.”
Just when I start to think I could stay here forever, spring storms come in and you-know-what on my party.
Anyway, we had a few sunny moments this weekend, too. I threw some water balloons at the kids, ate a lot of cookies, and made this delicious Queso Fundido.
So what is Queso Fundido? Well it translates to “melted cheese” so…
But it’s also made with chorizo and I looooove chorizo.
I had a 10 minute conversation with the HEB cashier about all the ways we love to use chorizo when I was buying the ingredients for this. Ten minutes. About chorizo.
The recipe calls for a Mexican melting cheese which I know may be hard to find in certain areas of the world but if you live in Texas and can get to an HEB, they have every kind you can imagine. I highly recommend a mixture of quesadilla and asadero but really, just use cheddar if you can’t find the Mexican stuff. It’ll be delicious either way!
Serve this queso with chips and margaritas for the perfect Cinco de Mayo spread!
More Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, diced
- 8 ounces chorizo
- 1/2 - 1 cup beer
- 4 cups shredded Mexican melting cheese, like asadero or quesadilla
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In an oven-proof skillet, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno, and chorizo to the pan; cook, breaking up the chorizo, until onion is translucent and chorizo is cooked through. Add 1/2 beer and stir to get the browned bits off the bottom. Remove about 1/2 cup of the chorizo mixture to a bowl. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Add more beer if the mixture gets too thick. Spoon the reserved chorizo mixture into the center of the skillet, cover with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese in completely melted.
- Top with chopped tomato and cilantro before serving with tortilla chips. Serve hot!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 615mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 17g