Looking for a delicious side dish that’s perfect for picnics and BBQs? Try this classic Southern Potato Salad recipe! Made with boiled potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, onion, pickles, and celery with a creamy dressing. This dish is sure to become a crowd-pleaser at any gathering.
Classic southern potato salad is my alltime favorite summer side dish. It goes with practically everything you cook during summer: burgers, ribs, hot dogs, etc.
Plus, I love a side dish with lots of different textures! With potato salad you get the soft potatoes and eggs with the crunchy veggies and then the creamy dressing – so many textures!
Everyone likes their potato salad a little different so feel free to use this recipe as a jumping off point and add or remove ingredients as you please!
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- This is the perfect summer side dish! Not only is it delicious but it’s served chilled so it’s perfect for taking to a barbecue or potluck.
- It’s made with all simple ingredients. All things you probably have in your house already.
- Potato salad is a quick and easy side dish! If you can boil potatoes and chop veggies, you can make this dish. And it will be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Russet potatoes – the star of the show! Russet potatoes hold up best for potato salad because they hold their shape better than other potato varieties. You can use gold potatoes but it will be a softer potato salad.
- Hard boiled eggs – listen, they’re controversial but they really add a lot to potato salad. You can leave them out if you prefer.
- Red onion – the red onion adds color and crispness to the dish. You can use a white onion if you want.
- Dill pickles – these add a nice crunch and tangy pickled flavor that is really nice with the creamy potatoes. If you aren’t a pickle person, leave them out.
- Dill pickle juice – you can substitute apple cider vinegar if you don’t want the pickle flavor.
- Mayo – I’m from Alabama and we only use Hellmann’s. If you disagree, you’re wrong. I’m sorry.
- Yellow mustard – just the classic yellow mustard.
- Salt and pepper
- Paprika or green onions – you can either garnish the potato salad with paprika or green onions. You can do both but it may be too much for some people.
How To Make Southern Potato Salad
- Cook potatoes. In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Allow potatoes to cook until a knife goes in easily (about 10-12 mins). Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Make dressing.Whisk together the mayo, mustard, pickle juice and salt and pepper.
- Combine everything. To a bowl, add the potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, onion, celery, pickles and potatoes. Pour in the dressing and toss the salad until it is evenly coated with dressing.
- Garnish and chill. Sprinkle paprika or green onions on top and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
How Long Is It Good For?
Potato salad is good for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Potato Salad?
I don’t recommend freezing potato salad.
More BBQ Side Dishes
- Broccoli Grape Pasta Salad
- Fritos Corn Salad
- Root Beer Baked Beans
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Southern Potato Salad
- 8 cups (3 lbs.) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup kosher dill pickles, finely chopped
- ¼ cup dill pickle juice
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika OR green onions for garnish
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Allow potatoes to cook until a knife goes in easily (about 10-12 mins). Drain potatoes and set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the mayo, mustard, pickle juice and salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, onion, celery, pickles and potatoes. Pour in the dressing and toss the salad until it is evenly coated with dressing.
- Sprinkle paprika or green onions on top and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 725mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Leave a Reply