The most delicious side dish! Hawaiian Macaroni Salad has macaroni noodles, grated carrots, onions, and a creamy dressing. It’s tangy and sweet and delicious!
I got really into a Hawaiian place near our old house several years ago. (C&H Hawaiian Grill near Fort Hood!)
So much so that after we loaded up the moving truck, our final stop before moving an hour away was to get one last loco moco plate with Hawaiian macaroni salad.
Traditional Hawaiian mac salad is really so simple but has so much flavors. It’s elbow macaroni that gets tossed with apple cider vinegar (so it soaks up all that tanginess), finely grated carrots and white onions, and it’s all tossed in a creamy dressing.
You’re going to want to make this for all your BBQs this spring and summer! Or, you know, just a regular ol’ dinner side dish in the middle of January. Either way!
- Elbow macaroni – you can use any small pasta shape but elbow macaroni is the traditional one used
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- White onion
- salt and pepper
How To Make Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Cook pasta. Cook pasta, strain, and return to pot. Toss with apple cider vinegar. Let cool for about 10 minutes
- Make sauce. While pasta cools, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, and granulated sugar until smooth. Stir in grated carrots and onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine. Pour sauce over the slightly cooled pasta and toss to make sure everything is coated.
- Chill and serve. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Add more milk as necessary, only a splash at a time.
How Long Is It Good For?
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad will be fine in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight containers – these are my favorite containers.
It will get a little thick in the fridge so I like to add a tablespoon or so of milk to it and give it a good stir before serving.
What To Serve With It?
More Pasta Salad Recipes
- Broccoli Grape Pasta Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Cole Slaw Pasta Salad
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Pasta Salad
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 large carrots, grated
- ¼ cup white onion, grated
- salt and pepper
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and return to pot. Toss with apple cider vinegar. Let cool for about 10 minutes
- While pasta cools, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Stir in grated carrots and onion.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the slightly cooled pasta and toss to make sure everything is coated.
- Refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Add more milk as necessary, only a splash at a time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g