Southwestern Cornbread Salad – layers of lettuce, black beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion, cheese, and cornbread in a zesty dressing! Perfect for barbecues!
This is one of my alltime favorite summer barbecue side dishes. It has so many layers of different colors, flavors, and textures and honestly, I just love anything that involves cornbread.
It’s perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July, or just any backyard barbecue! I get asked for the recipe every single time I take it somewhere.
And I love that the only real cooking you have to do for it is baking the cornbread. Once that’s done, all you have to do is chop veggies and assemble the salad!
How To Make Southwestern Cornbread Salad
- Prepare cornbread according to package instructions; cool and crumble
- Whisk may, chili powder, salt, and cilantro together
- To assemble the salad, layer lettuce, crumbed cornbread, mayo mixture, corn, black beans, tomatoes, onions, and cheese
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving
Can You Make Southwestern Cornbread Salad Ahead?
Yes! This needs to be made at least 2 hours ahead so it has time to chill.
The cornbread will soak up the dressing the longer it sits so I wouldn’t try to make it longer than a couple hours ahead. You can prep most of the ingredients ahead, such as making the cornbread and chopping all the veggies.
What To Serve With It
- Sweet and Tangy Chicken
- Hawaiian BBQ Ribs
- Grilled Ginger Sesame Pork Chops
- Cheyenne Burgers
- Grilled Lemon Thyme Pork Chops
- Sloppy Joe Sliders
More Side Dish Recipes
- Root Beer Baked Beans
- Fritos Corn Salad
- Cole Slaw Pasta Salad
- Balela Salad (Middle Eastern Bean Salad)
- Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Dill Cole Slaw
- Macaroni Salad
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 6-8 ounce package cornbread mix, cooked according to package instructions and cooled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons Mexican chili powder or mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, optional
- ½ head torn iceberg lettuce or 2 heads Romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 14-ounce can yellow corn, drained
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½-3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumble cornbread into fine crumbs; set aside.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, chili powder, salt, and chopped cilantro together.
- In a 4-quart glass bowl or trifle dish, place half of the lettuce, then sprinkle with half of the cornbread crumbs. Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture on the cornbread layer. Layer half each of the corn, black beans, tomatoes, onions, and cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 901Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 1536mgCarbohydrates: 100gFiber: 14gSugar: 29gProtein: 18g