Spicy Salty Dog – freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, vodka, and jalapenos! So refreshing and delicious, the perfect spicy cocktail recipe.
I love a spicy cocktail. If there’s a spicy cocktail on the menu, I’m ordering it. I don’t care what else is in it. If it involves a jalapeno or a serrano or a habanero, I’m trying it.
If you love spicy drinks as much as I do, you’re going to love this Spicy Salty Dog! I have a Spicy Cilantro Margarita that you may also enjoy.
How to Make a Spicy Salty Dog
Have you ever had a Salty Dog?
It is just vodka and fresh grapefruit juice with a salt rim. So easy, so delicious. I think grapefruit juice is so refreshing so it is the perfect summer cocktail for me!
- Start by making a jalapeno simple syrup by simmering water, sugar, and fresh jalapeno slices until thickened and syrupy
- To make the cocktails, rum a lime wedge along the rims of 2 glasses and dip into a plate of coarse salt
- Fill glasses with ice
- Combine grapefruit juice, vodka, and simple syrup in a shake glass filled with ice; shake until chilled
- Strain into the prepared glasses
- Garnish with extra jalapeno slices, if desired
Why Is It Called Salty Dog?
Because it has a salted rim!
Without the salt rim, it’s a different cocktail, called a Greyhound! So if you don’t love a salted rim, you can leave it off but it’s not a Salty Dog anymore. A Spicy Greyhound will still be delicious though.
The easiest way to do a salted rim is to put salt on a plate and then run a slice of grapefruit (or whatever fruit you are using in your cocktail) along the rim of the glass. Turn the glass upside down onto the salt plate and wiggle it around until the rim is coated with enough salt. That’s it!
More Grapefruit Cocktail Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the spicy simple syrup:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small jalapeno, sliced
For the cocktail:
- kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup vodka
- To make the spicy simple syrup, combine sugar, water, and sliced jalapeno in a small saucepan. Simmer for about 8 minutes, until it has thickened to a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat. You can store this in the fridge for several days.
- To make the cocktails, run a slice of grapefruit along the rims of 2 glasses and dip into kosher salt. Fill with ice.
- Combine grapefruit juice, vodka, and simple syrup to taste in a shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled. Strain over the prepared glasses. Serve immediately with extra jalapeno slices as garnish, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 296mg Carbohydrates: 62g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 50g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g