We celebrated my oldest’s 5th birthday this past weekend. Five! How am I old enough to have a 5 year old?!
We had a small party including cake, a pinata, and way too many Power Rangers toys.
(Him on his 1st birthday and on his 5th! Is that not the chunkiest baby you’ve ever seen?)
I made this 7 Layer Chili Dog Dip for his party because the boy loves hot dogs. And yes, this does have actual hot dogs in it!
It’s 7 layers (obviously) of things you might put on your hot dogs – chili, cheddar, bacon, red onions, sour cream, and cilantro. The hot dogs being the 7th layer, of course. ;)
When I first saw this recipe, I thought it sounded way too bizarre to be any good but I saved it anyway. I mean, hot dogs in a dip? On chips? Weird.
But so good. Seriously. I don’t know why, I don’t know how, but this is good stuff. I cut my hot dogs lengthwise and then sliced them maybe 1/2″ thick so they weren’t super noticeable but they still added that unmistakable hot dog texture and taste to the dip.
from Taste and Tell
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef and onion. Cook, breaking up the beef, until it's browned and the onions have softened. Drain, if needed. Add the chili powder, cumin and coriander; cook another minute or 2, just until the spices are nice and fragrant.
- Add the beef stock and tomatoes and allow to come to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, flipping as needed, until the bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble once cool. Set aside.
- Pour off all but about a teaspoon of the bacon fat. Add diced hot dogs and cook, stirring frequently, until the hot dogs are browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread the chili in the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish. Top with the hot dogs and then the cheese. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with bacon, sour cream, red onion, and cilantro. Serve hot.