Do you want to know how sad my life is? Yesterday I took a nap (don’t judge me) and dreamt that I was on weather.com and saw snow in the forecast. And I woke up so excited. Like, it wasn’t even snowing. It was just the weather forecast. In my dream. And I was excited.
Another more real life thing that has been exciting me recently is apple recipes. It’s quite weird because I really don’t like apples much.
I think I’ve eaten two apples this year and both times I covered them in chocolate PB2. Which is one of my favorite things on earth and if you aren’t covering your apples in it, what are you doing with your life?
But yeah, I’ve been pulling apple recipes out of magazines like it’s my job. Cakes, bars, battered and fried.
I made these Apple Fritters over the weekend, because I figured I could get away with serving them for lunch. I mean, apples. Healthy! Fiber! Stuff like that! And then flour which is basically bread. So an apple sandwich.
Anyway, my kids loved them and I had a lot of fun making them. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy an apple corer. And that’s always a good time.
If you aren’t a fan of the smell that lingers after frying things, I’ve heard that putting a capful of bleach on the counter will get rid of it really quickly. Let me know if you have any other tips because you know I never remember to put bleach on the grocery list!
Make sure you follow me around the internet!
adapted from Food Network Magazine
- Heat a couple inches of vegetable oil in a large, heavy pot to 350F.
- Peel and core the apples; slice into 1/4-inch thick rings.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Toss the apple slices with the buttermilk mixture; then dredge them in the flour mixture. Return to the buttermilk and then dredge in the flour again.
- Fry the apple slices until golden and crisp; drain on paper towels. Once cool, dust the tops with powdered sugar.