Layers of chili, hot dogs, bacon, cheese, sour cream, red onion, and cilantro! This 7-Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip is perfect for football season and always a hit!
We celebrated my oldest’s 5th birthday this past weekend.
Five! How am I old enough to have a 5 year old?!
We had a small party including cake, a pinata, and way too many Power Rangers toys.
(Him on his 1st birthday and on his 5th! Is that not the chunkiest baby you’ve ever seen?)
7 Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip!
I made this 7 Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip for his party because the boy loves hot dogs. And yes, this does have actual hot dogs in it!
- Make a simple chili with ground beef, onion, diced tomatoes, beef stock, and the usual chili seasonings (chili powder, cumin, coriander
- In a separate skillet, cook bacon until crisp
- Drain off almost all the bacon fat; cook sliced hot dogs in remaining bacon fat
- Layer the chili, hot dogs, and cheddar cheese in a casserole dish
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 12 minutes
- Top with crispy bacon, sour cream, diced red onion, and fresh cilantro
- Serve with tortilla chips or dippers of choice
Can You Make 7 Layer Chili Dog Dip Ahead?
You can definitely do parts of the dip ahead of time! The chili can be made the night before and stored in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the dip.
I would do everything else fresh. You want crispy bacon and a little bit of a crisp on the hot dogs. But the chili takes the longest time so you can definitely get that out of the way.
More Dip Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the chili:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 can, 14-oz diced tomatoes
For the Dip:
- ½ pound bacon
- 4 hot dogs, diced
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 bag tortilla or pita chips
To make the chili:
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef and onion. Cook, breaking up the beef, until it's browned and the onions have softened. Drain, if needed. Add the chili powder and cumin; cook another minute or 2, just until the spices are nice and fragrant.
- Add the beef stock and tomatoes and allow to come to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
To assemble the dip:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, flipping as needed, until the bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble once cool. Set aside.
- Pour off all but about a teaspoon of the bacon fat. Add diced hot dogs and cook, stirring frequently, until the hot dogs are browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread the chili in the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish. Top with the hot dogs and then the cheese. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with bacon, sour cream, red onion, and cilantro. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 889mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g