Creamy, spicy salsa made with avocado, onions, jalapeno, cilantro, and fresh lime juice! Avocado Salsa is perfect when you aren’t in the mood for tomato salsa. Enjoy it with tortilla chips, on grilled meats, or drizzled on a taco salad! El Pollo Loco copycat!
Originally published September 30, 2013. Updated April 22, 2021.
This is one of my favorite recipes ever. And that’s saying a lot because I’ve been very anti-avocado for the last year or so.
But this and Mango Avocado Salsaare so good that I can get over my avocado hate for a little while.
Avocado Salsa is like a guacamole but it’s blended so it’s not so chunky. The avocado makes it super creamy without having to add sour cream or anything likes that.
It makes it perfect for dipping, using as salad dressing, or drizzling on top of grilled chicken or fish!
It’s also a copycat recipe for El Pollo Loco’s Avocado Salsa!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- ½ – 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until mixture reaches desired consistency
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve
🥑 How Long Is Avocado Salsa Good For?
This salsa will be fine in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days. Avocados tend to brown as soon as they are exposed to air but there’s enough lime juice in this avocado salsa to keep it from browning for several days.
Make sure to store it in an airtight container to keep out as much air as possible. You could also store it in a salad dressing container to make it easy to pour, especially if you want to add it to a taco salad! Yum!
🙋🏼♀️ Tips and Tricks
- I highly recommend using a food processor over a blender for this recipe. You have a bit more control over how smooth you make the salsa with a food processor and I like to leave mine a little chunky. I love being able to see the dark green cilantro pieces and the red onion.
- Salt is SO important in this recipe. I have ¾ tsp listed but taste it and add more if you feel like it needs it. Avocado just needs a lot of salt and depending on the size of yours, you may need more.
- If you want more heat, feel free to add another jalapeno or even keep the seeds in the jalapeno.
🌮 What To Serve with Avocado Salsa
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Street Tacos
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Chipotle Shrimp Jicama Tacos
- Pulled Pork Nachos
- Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Slaw
- Spicy Shrimp Nachos
- Bacon and Butternut Squash Breakfast Tacos
🍴 More Dip Recipes
- Chicken Burrito Dip
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Hatch Chile Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Sausage and Spinach Dip
- Charred Corn and Bacon Guacamole
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until mixture is desired consistency.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g