I have been searching for the perfect baked, breaded chicken recipe for years now. It seems like even when I would find one that was perfectly crunchy it wouldn’t get brown enough. Or if I would leave it in the oven until it was beautifully golden, the chicken would be dry and gross. Well y’all, I have found the perfect recipe!
Before breading these chicken fingers, you toast the panko breadcrumbs in some oil! Seriously, how did I not think of this before?! The chicken was perfectly crunchy and brown but still moist and delicious on the inside. My children loved these and they were inspired to write a song that went something like this: “Chicken fingers, chicken fingers, berk berk berk berk berk”.
This will definitely be my new go-to for baked chicken and I’m excited to play around and see how it turns out with some cheese mixed into the (cooled) breadcrumbs!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ lb chicken tenderloins, or boneless, skinless breasts cut into ¾-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 475F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and canola oil. Toast the breadcrumbs, stirring frequently, until they're a deep golden color.
- Transfer the breadcrumbs to a wide, shallow dish and set aside to cool. In a separate dish, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, and cayenne. In a third dish, whisk the egg whites, water, dijon mustard and thyme to until the mixture is foamy.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working with one strip at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture (shaking to remove excess) then dip in the egg whites making sure to coat both sides completely. Place in the toasted breadcrumbs, turning to coat both sides. Transfer to the wire rack. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Spray the chicken lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 443mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 43g