Banana Upside Down Cake – moist vanilla cake baked on top of a layer of caramelized bananas and flipped upside down after baked. It’s delicous with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Bananas are a favorite around here and most of the time I can’t buy enough, but every few weeks we all get burned out on bananas and a bunch or 2 just sits on the counter until I finally turn it into banana bread. That happened this week, only I wasn’t into the whole banana bread idea.
This cake was one of the best cakes I’ve made. It was almost like banana bread except not as dense as a bread and with caramelized bananas on top. We topped it with homemade vanilla bean ice cream and it was incredible!
How To Make Banana Upside Down Cake
- Melt butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup together
- Pour butter mixture into a 9-inch cake pan
- Top with sliced bananas; set aside
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla
- Beat flour mixture into the wet mixture alternating with milk
- Gently spoon batter over bananas
- Bake about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Cool for about 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter
More Upside Down Recipes
- Apple Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Upside Down Ricotta Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Muffins
- Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
More Banana Recipes
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- Banana Cream Pie
- Banana Pudding
- Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl
- PB&J Banana Bread
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the topping:
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 large ripe bananas. peeled, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
For the cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons 3/4 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
To make the topping:
- Preheat oven to 325F. Combine sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts and mixture is well blended. Pour into 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides. Spread to coat bottom of pan. Pour maple syrup over sugar mixture. Place banana slices in concentric circles, overlapping slightly and covering bottom.
To make the cake:
- Stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl to blend. Beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk in 3 additions. Spoon batter over bananas. Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer cake to rack. Run knife around pan sides. Cool cake on rack 30 minutes. Place plate over pan; invert cake. Let stand 3 minutes, then gently lift off pan. Serve warm with whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 2g