Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash – healthy and delicious breakfast! Roasted acorn squash filled with sausage and topped with an egg!
I am forever looking for new breakfast ideas for myself. I’m not really into typical breakfast foods first thing in the morning (but I love a cinnamon roll in the afternoon or pancakes for dinner) and a girl can only have so many breakfast salads before she starts to lose it.
This Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash is my new favorite and I’m going through withdrawals right now because Trader Joe’s was out of acorn squash the other day and I’m refusing to go to any other grocery stores until the excitement of TJ’s wears off.
Life is rough.
- Acorn squash
- Coconut oil – or whatever your preferred cooking oil is
- Turkey breakfast sausage
- Roast halved acorn squash upside down on a baking sheet at 375F for about 25 minutes
- For filling, cook breakfast sausage and onion in coconut oil until sausage is cooked through
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, only 30 seconds or so
- Spoon sausage mixture into the roasted acorn squash and make a whole in the center of the filling for the egg
- Crack an egg into the center of each squash half
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until eggs are set to your preference
Can You Make It Ahead?
I almost always prep a couple of these at once because they make sure easy, fast, healthy breakfasts.
You can prep the entire thing and just reheat in the microwave or if you like your eggs cooked fresh, just roast the squash and cook the sausage mixture and store it separately. When you’re ready to eat, just assemble the squash and add an extra 5 minutes or so to the bake time since you will be cooking from cold.
More Squash Recipes
- Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Butternut Squash and Crab Bisque
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, or olive oil
- ½ lean turkey breakfast sausage
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place acorn squash cut-side down onto your baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your acorn squash is soft when you press on the skin. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While your acorn squash is cooking, add coconut oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add breakfast sausage and cook, breaking it up, until almost no pink remains. Add onion and continue cooking until the sausage is cooked completely and the onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the cooked acorn squash halves and make a whole in the center for the egg. Crack an egg into each side of the acorn squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake another 10 - 15 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your preference.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
I am confused on the directiona of this. You say to put sausage in the acorn squash, make a hole for the egg then mix the squash and sausage and put it back in the skin? When did we scoop the squash out?
Ooh, sorry – just a line I meant to get rid of when I changed the recipe! I didn’t scoop the squash out for this particular one but sometimes I do and just mix it all together. :)
Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron says
This is one of my favorite ideas yet!! Also breakfast salads? I’m intrigued! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a breakfast salad. I love acorn squash though – such a great idea! And I would definitely cover mine with tons of sriracha :)
Marissa | Pinch and Swirl says
I’m exactly the same way about sweet ‘breakfasts’ – I’d far rather have them for a snack or dinner. Come to think of it, I’m planning to make breakfast burritos for dinner tonight, so it doesn’t even have to be sweet. Anywho, that stuffed acorn squash looks about perfect to me. Yum!
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
You speak my breakfast language. This is epic.
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
I can definitely understand how this would be amazing for breakfast.
Personally I think this is genius! I love eggs for breakfast, this is full of protein & flavor! I’ve been eating acorn squash like crazy too.
Julie | This Gal Cooks says
I’m a savory breakfast gal so this is totally my kind of breakfast meal. And that runny egg, LOVE.
Stephanie @ Back For Seconds says
Put a runny egg on just about anything and I think it’s the best thing ever. I love that you served this inside the squash. So festive!
I love this recipe for breakfast or dinner, Amanda. And, I love that you used coconut oil and turkey sausage. My hubs only like turkey sausage if I don’t tell him it’s turkey, hehe.