Cranberry Orange Cookies – sugar cookes filled with dried cranberries and orange zest, and rolled in sugar and orange zest before baking. They make great Christmas cookies!
Today I’m sharing my most favorite Christmas cookie ever!
Okay, so it’s not really the kind of cookie you’d think about for Christmas.
Normally it’s snickerdoodles or decorated sugar cookies or Italian sugar cookies dipped in a glaze and covered in sprinkles.
But I have been making these Cranberry Orange Cookies every Christmas since I got married. And the holidays are the only time I make so I look forward to them all year long.
How to Make Cranberry Orange Cookies
These Cranberry Orange Cookies are so simple to make!
They start with a pretty basic sugar cookie dough and then dried cranberries and fresh orange zest gets mixed into the dough. Before you bake them, you roll the dough into balls and roll the balls into a mixture of granulated sugar and orange zest.
Once they bake, the cookies themselves are soft and the outside gets a nice crunch from the sugar.
The cranberries and orange zest is just the perfect combination. The cookies are sweet and tart and they’re great for the holidays but they don’t scream holiday so you can make them any time of year!
Tips for Making Cranberry Orange Cookies
- You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it (like in preparation of the holidays). You can either freeze it in a large disc or after you roll it into balls. If freezing single balls of dough, freeze on a baking sheet with an inch between each dough ball and once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.
- These cookies are at their tastiest if enjoyed within 3 days of baking but will last up to a week in an airtight container.
More Cranberry Cookie Recipes
Oatmeal, Cranberry, and White Chocolate Cookies – chewy oatmeal cookies loaded with dried cranberries and white chocolate chips.
Trail Mix Cookies – everything you love about trail mix in cookies! Oats, chocolate chips, coconut, walnuts, and dried cranberries.
More Orange Cookie Recipes
White Chocolate Orange Cookies – soft and chewy white chocolate chip cookies with fresh orange zest mixed in.
Gluten Free Iced Orange Cookies – even the gluten eaters in your life will love these! Tender orange sugar cookies with a sweet glaze on top.
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies – classic chocolate chip cookies with orange liqueur and orange extract. Chocolate and orange are the perfet combination!
For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
For the rolling sugar:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using an electric mixer, mix butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in cranberries and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Chill dough while you make orange sugar.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Use your fingers to rub the 2 together until everything is combined and mixture is fragrant.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in orange sugar. Place on baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake 10 - 13 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g