Amish Breakfast Casserole is a delicious baked casserole made with bacon, hashbrowns, 2 cheeses, and eggs! An easy, hearty weekend breakfast or meal prep it to have all week long.
This post originally published on August 17, 2014 – updated on January 19, 2020.
I have been making this Amish Breakfast Casserole for years and had the ugliest photos of it on the blog. You really couldn’t tell what a fantastic meal for any time of day it is from my garbage photos.
I made it twice this past weekend. Once to update the photos and then again when my kid that was at a sleepover came home and was upset that I made it while he was gone. We had no leftovers either time.
And if you just love breakfast casseroles as much as I do, my Overnight Ham Breakfast Casserole is another one we love.
- Bacon – this gets cooked before going into the casserole so you don’t have to worry about raw or soggy bacon
- Onion – these get cooked with the bacon so they aren’t as obvious in the casserole if you have picky eaters
- Salt and pepper
- Frozen shredded hash browns – you want to make sure you defrost these before assembling the casserole. I usually put it in the fridge the night before I make it.
- Cheddar cheese
- Cottage cheese – my kids don’t like cottage cheese but they have no problem with it in this casserole. It just adds more creaminess and extra cheesy flavor.
- Swiss cheese – you could do monterey jack if you don’t like swiss
How To Make Amish Breakast Casserole
- Defrost. Let frozen shredded hashbrowns defrost in refrigerator overnight
- Saute. When ready to cook, saute bacon and onion until bacon is crispy and onion is soft; add garlic
- Combine. Combine defrosted shredded hashbrows, bacon mixture, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, and eggs; stir until well mixed
- Transfer. Transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch pan
- Bake. Bake about 35 minutes, until the center is set
- Enjoy! Let stand about 5 minutes before serving
Can You Make Amish Breakfast Casserole Ahead?
Yes! You can definitely prep this the night before if you have a busy morning. Follow all instructions up to actually putting it in the oven the night before.
The next morning, follow baking instructions. You may need to add a few extra minutes to account for it being chilled.
Can Yo Freeze It?
Yes! You can freeze this breakfast casserole either unbaked or baked!
To freeze it unbaked, assemble it completely and transfer to a freezer-safe and oven-safe container (like a disposable aluminum foil pan). Cover it tightly and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost it in the refrigerator overnight before baking.
To freeze the baked version, I would divide it into individual portions and freeze in separate containers. That way you can just pull out a single serving if that’s all you need. The baked casserole should be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Honey Ham Biscuits
- Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces 1 ½ cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 ¼ cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, combine the onion and bacon and cook until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent. Drain off fat; add garlic and stir for about a minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Add the bacon and stir until combined. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minute before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 1267mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g