Chewy gingerbread cookies with gooey chocolate mixed in! Santa’s going to love these Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies!
I also have a list of 30 of the best Christmas cookie recipes if you need more ideas!
Thanks for all the kind words about my husband last week. He still isn’t home – it’s actually become pretty funny. They were ON the plane the other day and then blah blah blah happened and they had to stay. Hopefully this week! My poor, sweet 3 year old is still waiting for his birthday party that was supposed to happen 2 weeks ago! Bless his heart.
These cookies were on my to-do list last Christmas but I just ran out of time and they never got made. I wanted to get them done early in the season this year so it wouldn’t happen again! And I’m so happy that I did. They are definitely one of my favorite cookies I’ve made this year.
They have incredible chocolate gingerbread flavor but with chunks of chocolate mixed in. The chocolate gets all melty and delicious! These are a must make for chocolate lovers!
- Semisweet chocolate
- All-purpose flour
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Ground nutmeg
- Cocoa powder
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh ginger
- Dark brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
How Long Are They Good For?
These cookies are best within the first 5 days. Make sure you store them at room temperature in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Them?
You can freeze these chocolate gingerbread cookies for up to 3 months. I would wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer ziploc bag.
When you are ready to serve them, just let them sit at room temperature until defrosted.
More Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Cranberry Orange Cookies
- Cherry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Italian Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Snowball Cookies
- Holly Crackles
- Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprints
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 ½ cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into ¼-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 ½ teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 ½- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 0g