Warm up with a cup of Gingerbread Hot Chocolate! Hot chocolate with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and topped with gingerbread marshmallows.
If you love gingerbread, try Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies and Soft Gingerbread Cookies!
Gingerbread just screams HOLIDAYS! Right?!
Gingerbread lovers are going to go crazy for this hot chocolate made with warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. And then you top it with gingerbread marshmallows so it’s festive and oh so cute!
- Fresh ginger
- Whole cloves
- Cinnamon sticks
- Whole milk
- Dark brown sugar
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Vanilla extract
- Gingerbread marshmallows
- Steep spices in milk. Combine first 3 ingredients in an 8- x 10-inch piece of cheesecloth; pull edges together, and tie to secure. Warm milk and spice bundle in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and steep 30 minutes. Remove spice bundle from milk.
- Add remaining ingredients. Heat milk mixture over medium-low heat until hot. Add brown sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts. Add chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts. Stir in vanilla.
- Top and serve. Serve warm, topped with gingerbread marshmallows.
Can You Make It Ahead?
You can make the steeped milk and spice mixture a few hours before you plan on serving it. Just let it cool and then store it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
And then from there, continue with the instructions.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- gingerbread marshmallows
- Combine first 3 ingredients in an 8- x 10-inch piece of cheesecloth; pull edges together, and tie to secure.
- Warm milk and spice bundle in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and steep 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bundle from milk. Heat milk mixture over medium-low heat until hot. Add brown sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts. Add chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm, topped with gingerbread marshmallows.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 10gSugar: 34gProtein: 17g
Summer @ Mallow and Co says
Ahh, love everything about this! Love the gingerbread marshmallows that go with it too! Hope your hubby gets home soon!!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says
omg get in my freaking belly NOW
where did you get those marshmallows? too cute!
nicole @ I am a honey bee says
i must find those gingerbread men marshmallows!!
jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur says
I love ginger, and I love chocolate (who doesn’t?) But, I have never added ginger to my hot chocolate. I’ll have to add this to my repertoire. Thanks for the recipe!
This is the best idea – and those marshmallows are beyond cute! Hope your husband gets home ASAP!!
Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking says
So sorry to hear your husband is not home yet. The chocolate sounds comforting
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I’m so sorry he’s not home yet!!! :( This hot chocolate is amazing though!
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
I cannot believe he’s not home yet :( You poor thing.
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
Heck yes! I love the combination of chocolate and gingerbread.