Chicken Fajitas are the perfect easy, weeknight dinner! Strips of chicken, bell peppers, and onions cooked with fajita seasoning and fresh lime juice. Serve the fajitas with tortilla, sour cream, salsa, or whatever toppings you like!
We took our kids to Monster Jam a couple weekends ago and ended up stopping for dinner at a place that served fajitas. Two of my kids ordered fajitas and then tried to tell me that I’d never made fajitas and this was the first time ever they’d had fajitas.
Which was 100% false but I still felt like I needed to make chicken fajitas for them.
I love fajitas for a fast dinner. Everything cooks so fast. Everyone can assemble their fajitas with only ingredients they enjoy. It’s kind of the perfect meal.
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- These chicken fajitas are ready in less than 30 minutes! You just chop everything up and throw it in a pan with some seasonings.
- So many textures and flavors! I love the crunch of the peppers with the soft flour tortilla and a little creamy sour cream on top.
- This recipe is so customizable! If you have someone that doesn’t like peppers, it’s easy to pick around them and just go for chicken and onions.
- Chili powder – this is going in the easy homemade fajita seasoning
- Paprika – this is also for the fajita seasoning. It adds great color and flavor
- Granulated sugar – you leave leave this out of the fajita seasoning if you prefer
- Cumin – this adds so much flavor to the fajita seasoning
- Dried oregano – if you have Mexican oregano, use that. But regular oregano is fine as well.
- Garlic power – garlic powder is essntial for fajita seasoning!
- Onion powder – also essential!
- Black pepper
- Cayenne powder – you can leave this out if you don’t want a lot of heat
- Chicken breasts – you can use thighs if you prefer
- Limes – lots of lime juice is crucial for fajitas
- Red bell pepper – I’ve listed 4 different bell peppers because they make the dish beautiful and all taste a little different but use 4 reds or 4 greens or whatever you have.
- Yellow bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- Red onion – red onion makes the dish pretty but you can use a white or yellow onion
- Olive oil – for cooking everything
- Flour tortillas – warm them up before serving
- Salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, green onions and cilantro – optional, for serving
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
- Make fajita seasoning. Combine chili powder, paprika, sugar, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne powder.
- Prepare chicken. Cut the chicken into strips and place in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle half of the seasoning on top of chicken; set remaining seasoning aside. Squeeze juice of half a lime over top of seasoning and chicken; stir to make sure chicken is coated.
- Prepare veggies. Place sliced bell peppers and onion in a separate mixing bowl. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on top and squeeze half a lime over top. Toss to coat.
- Cook chicken. Cook chicken in olive oil over medium-high heat until chicken is browned on all sides. Add vegetables and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are fork tender.
- Serve. Serve hot with remaining sliced limes and toppings of choice.
How Long Are They Good For?
Chicken fajitas are good for up to 3 days. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them fresh for as long as possible.
You can reheat fajitas in the microwave or a skillet.
Can You Freeze It?
You can freeze these fajitas for up to 3 months. Don’t try to freeze the tortillas or any toppings with them though.
I would wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and then place them in a freezer ziploc bag.
When you are ready to serve the chicken fajitas, let them defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stovetop.
More Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Huli Huli Chicken
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Apple Mustard Chicken Tenders
- Black Pepper Chicken
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the fajita seasoning
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic power
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne powder, depending on taste
For the fajitas
- 1 (1.5-2 pounds) package of chicken breasts
- 2 limes
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
For serving, optional
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- To make fajita seasoning, combine chili powder, paprika, sugar, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne powder.
- Cut the chicken into strips and place in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle half of the seasoning on top of chicken; set remaining seasoning aside.
- Squeeze juice of half a lime over top of seasoning and chicken; stir to make sure chicken is coated.
- Place sliced bell peppers and onion in a separate mixing bowl. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on top and squeeze half a lime over top. Toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to pan and stir fry until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add vegetables and continue stir frying until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are fork tender.
- Serve hot with remaining sliced limes and toppings of choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g