Slow Cooker Huli Huli Chicken – slow cooked chicken in a sweet and sour sauce with a Hawaiian twist! A kid favorite!
My kid goes back to school today which means the holidays are officially over for us.
We celebrated his last day of freedom by sledding pretty much all day. It was the most fun I’ve had in a very long time and I’ll be anxiously awaiting our next decent snow.
I haven’t really been cooking since the kid and husband started their holiday breaks but it’s time to get back to it now.
And what better way to ease myself into it than with the slow cooker?
How to Make Slow Cooker Huli Huli Chicken
Huli Huli Chicken is a Hawaiian chicken dish that’s typically made over a fire but this version is super simple in the slow cooker.
And then because slow cooked chicken can look kind of pale, you finish it off in the oven, brushing it with the delicious sweet and sour sauce.
The sauce kind of caramelized in the oven and becomes extra delicious.
Oh, the sauce! The sauce is made from pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. It is sweet and sour and one of my favorite ways to enjoy chicken.
Use whatever parts of the chicken you want – the recipe calls for bone-in chicken because chicken on the bone tends to stay more moist and juicy but if you absolultely opposed to bone-in chicken, go ahead and the boneless stuff.
I like using drumsticks because kids just love drumsticks, for some reason.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cool Ranch Chicken
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or minced
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil spray
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken (breasts, thighs, and/or drumsticks)
- Simmer pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger in a medium saucepan until thickened and measures about 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray slow cooker with vegetable oil spray. Transfer 1/2 cup of the sauce to the slow cooker; reserve remaining sauce separately. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Transfer chicken, skin side up, to an aluminum foil lined baking sheet; discard braising liquid.
- Brush chicken with some reserved sauce and baking, brushing with more sauce every few minutes, until it has a deep, mahogany color, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 15g