This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup tastes just like Panera’s but you don’t have to leave your house! Creamy soup with wild rice, chicken, and veggies. The whole family will love this one!
Meet my current favorite soup.
I’ve made it twice in the last few weeks.
This is THE EASIEST soup you will ever make. And I make it even easier by grabbing a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and just shredding it.
So good. So easy. I’ll probably make it again next week. And the week after that. And probably every time it gets cold because it is the ultimate comfort food. Especially with some fresh bread on the side.
Definitely double it if you are feeding more than a few people or want some leftovers. I’m even going to consider tripling it if I can find a pot big enough. It reheats really well so it would be perfect for making a big batch on the weekend and taking it for lunch all week long.
- Olive oil
- Red onion – you can use whatever color onion you like, the red onions are just more mild and i like the hint of color they add to the finished soup.
- Dried marjoram
- Flour – this is to thicken the soup
- Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice with Flavor Packet (if you can’t find that one, use the Uncle Ben’s version)
- Low sodium chicken broth – if you use regular chicken broth, make sure to taste it before you season with salt
- Heavy cream
- Cooked chicken – I always buy a rotisserie chicken to make prepping this soup even easier!
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom soup bottom over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Add dried marjoram, flour, and seasoning packet from the rice; stir to combine.
- Add rice, chicken broth, and water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower to a simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir into the soup.
- Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How Long Is It Good For?
This soup is good for about 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to serve it, you can reheat on the stovetop or microwave. If the soup has thickened too much, use a splash of chicken broth or water to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Freeze Chicken Wild Rice Soup?
You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool it completely before transferring to a freezer-safe soup container and putting it in the freezer.
The night before you plan to serve it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then you can reheat on the stovetop. If it’s thickened, a little bit of chicken broth or water will help to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Make Chicken Wild Rice Soup Ahead?
This soup is fine to make the morning of or even the night before you plan to serve it. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to serve it – and if it’s too thick, add water or chicken broth until it reaches the desired consitency.
What Goes with Chicken and Wild Rice Soup?
If you are looking for something a little heartier, my Oatmeal Rolls are a great option.
A simple side salad is always a great option when serving soup, as well.
More Soup Recipes
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Dill Pickle Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice with Flavor Packet
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom soup bottom over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Add dried marjoram, flour, and seasoning packet from the rice; stir to combine.
- Add rice, chicken broth, and water; bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir into the soup. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 283mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g