Chocolate Chip Pancakes – the perfect weekend breakfast! Fluffy buttermilk pancakes filled with mini chocolate chips.
Originally published December 29, 2009. Updated January 30, 2020.
Is there anything better than chocolate for breakfast?!
These chocolate chip pancakes are a staple in my house. Everyone loves them and I love that I can make a big batch and the kids can just reheat them as needed. They are light and fluffy and just perfect for chocolate lovers!
I have a bunch of other breakfast recipes if you are looking for others ideas!
How To Make Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl
- Add eggs and buttermilk and whisk everything together
- Stir in mini chocolate chips
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to pour batter onto preheated pan.
- Let cook until bubbles form on top of the batter, 2-3 minutes.
- Flip over and cook an additional 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips For Making Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- I always use my electric griddle for pancakes – it makes the process go faster and makes perfect pancakes
- If you don’t have buttermilk, mix 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to enough milk to measure a full cup. Let sit for a few minutes. (For this recipe, it’s 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to make 2 1/2 cups.)
Can You Freeze Pancakes?
Yes, these pancakes freeze perfectly! I like to freeze them in a freezer ziploc bag (make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible) and they will stay good for up to 2 months.
Defrost them overnight in the refrigerator and then you can reheat in the microwave, toaster, or the oven.
More Pancake Recipes
- Pecan Oat Pancakes
- Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes
- Buckwheat Pancakes
- Buttermilk Banana Pancakes
- Blueberry Pancakes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing the pan
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and buttermilk and whisk everything together. There should be small lumps in the batter. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to pour batter onto preheated pan. Let cook until bubbles form on top of the batter, 2-3 minutes. Flip over and cook an additional 1 minute or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g