Fact: I am having the worst time with pastry these days. I don’t know if it’s the dry winter air or what but everything’s falling apart on me.
Another fact: This pie is not going to cut nicely for you. But no one will care because it’s delicious.
One more fact: I really intended to have a week of Mardi Gras food but I dropped the moonpie on that one. Get it?! No? Moving on…
I took all my kids to Costco last week. Always a bad idea. Not as bad as taking all the kids AND the husband but still a bad idea. We ended up with 4 pounds of strawberries in our cart and even though they love strawberries, they just couldn’t eat them quickly enough. So I made a pie. Because there is never a bad time for pie!
I wasn’t going to post this pie because I was so disappointed that it didn’t cut smoothly but then my husband went absolutely nuts over it. The man loves strawberries but I definitely didn’t expect this pie to get such a strong reaction out of him. I swear he ate half of it in one sitting and then talked about it for a week after that.
It’s an easy pie too. You bake the pie crust alone and then you just have to refrigerate it once the filling is in. It took no time at all and the hardest part was waiting for it to chill!
And that lovely pink color? All strawberries! No food coloring needed. :)
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Pie
adapted from Blue Ribbon Recipes
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
For the filling:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
For the topping:
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the garnish:
- sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate-covered strawberries
- Bake pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate according to the instructions on the box or the recipe you are using. Set aside to cool.
To make the filling:
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature.
- In a double boiler (or a microwave) melt the white chocolate chips. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until combined. Slowly add the melted white chocolate chips. Add the strawberry mixture and continue beat until well blended. Pour into the baked pie crust. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
To make the topping:
- Place the semisweet chocolate chips in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Heat the heavy whipping cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to bubble. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Drizzle the topping over the pie. Chill for at least 2 hours and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate-covered strawberries.