Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting – light and fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with peanut butter cream cheese frosting. Like a Reese’s cup as a cupcake!
My husband’s birthday was this week. He said he wanted tacos for his birthday so I left that one up to him and decided to make him some cupcakes inspired by his favorite candy: the peanut butter cup!
There are really no words to describe these cupcakes. The cake itself was moist and as light as a cake that had whipped egg whites folded in. Of course the frosting is amazing. You can’t go wrong with cream cheese and peanut butter.
I won’t lie to you, I had 3 of these. And I don’t even like chocolate cake.
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to remove lumps
- Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla
- Mix everything until smooth
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups
- Bake until cooked through, about 20 0minutes
- Cool completely before frosting
How To Make Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar with an electric mixer
- Add salt, peanut butter, and vanilla; beat until combined
- In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture
- Frost cupcakes as desired
How Long Are Cupcakes Good FOr
Because these cupcakes are made with cream cheese frosting, they need to be stored in the refrigerator. You can leave them out on the counter for up to 8 hours but after that, put them in the fridge.
They will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Cupcakes Recipes
- Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes
- Apple Spice Cupcakes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectionersâ€™ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, not natural
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
For the frosting:
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat cream cheese and confectioners's sugar until pale and fluffy. Add salt and peanut butter, and beat to combine. Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-speed, whisk cream until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold cream into peanut-butter mixture. Use immediately, or refrigerate, covered tightly, up to 2 days. Before using, bring to room temperature and stir with a flexible spatula until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 10g