Chocolate Pudding Pie – creamy chocolate pudding pie topped with homemade whipped cream. Easy and delicious!
Originally published March 13, 2015, updated May 13, 2020.
I love desserts like this Chocolate Pudding Pie. It’s almost no bake (only the crust needs to be baked!) and the whole recipe is so simple and you probably even have all the ingredients already on hand.
Plus, is there anything better than a chilled dessert during the summer?
How To Make Chocolate Pudding Pie
I always start with a store-bought crust just to make life easier. So the first step is to bake that according to the package instructions. Usually it will be about 10 minutes, depending on the crust you buy. Or you can use a homemade one – just bake it until golden brown.
- To make the pudding, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light in color.
- Whisk in corn starch, cocoa powder, and salt
- Whisk in whole milk
- Put mixture in a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Let boil, stirring constantly, until it reaches pudding consistency
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla
- Cool filling for about 10 minutes before pouring into baked pie crust
- Chill completely before topping
- To make the topping, beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the whipped cream over the pie
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve
How Long Is Pudding Pie Good For?
This chocolate pudding pie will be good in the fridge for up to a week, although the whipped cream will start to deflate the longer it sits.
I like to store it in an airtight cake container but you can also just cover it tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
Can You Make Pudding Pie Ahead?
I like to make pudding pie the day before I plan to serve it. I find that letting it sit in the fridge overnight allows me to get really clean slices and the layers just look better. I wouldn’t make it any further out than the night before though.
More Pie Recipes
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- No Bake Million Dollar Pie Bars
- Fluffy Cheesecake
- No Bake Snickers Pie
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 prepared pie crust, baked until golden brown
For the filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 7g