Chocolate Stout Cupcakes – chocolate cupcakes made with Guinness and topped with a dreamy chocolate buttercream frosting. You have to make these for St. Patrick’s Day!
One last St. Patrick’s Day recipe and then I swear I’ll stop!
I told you guys yesterday that one of my favorite things about St. Patrick’s Day is buying the ginormous blocks of Kerrygold Dubliner but I didn’t mentioned that I also really love buying Guinness.
And I don’t know why because I don’t drink it. It just makes me feel festive or something.
I knew I wanted to make these Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with it this year and they turned out so good!
They’re chocolate cupcakes with the Guinness in the batter and then just a regular chocolate frosting. I was worried that Guinness taste would be too strong for me but I really enjoyed them. I’m not going to tell you how many I had but take my word for it, I really really really enjoyed them.
Need something to serve for St. Patrick’s Day dinner? Try this Guinness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups stout or dark beer, such as Guinness
- 2 cups 4 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups Dutch-process cocoa
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
For the frosting:
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, softened
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Place the stout and butter in a large, heavy saucepan, and heat until the butter melts. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the cocoa powder. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sour cream. Add the cooled stout-cocoa mixture, mixing to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and mix together at slow speed. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and mix again for 1 minute.
- Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full. Bake for 20 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add cocoa powder, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla sugar. Beat until everything is incorporated. Add more powdered sugar or milk if you want a different consistency. Frost cupcakes once cooled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g