Cranberry Orange Cookies – sugar cookes filled with dried cranberries and orange zest, and rolled in sugar and orange zest before baking. They make great Christmas cookies!
Today I’m sharing my most favorite Christmas cookie ever!
Okay, so it’s not really the kind of cookie you’d think about for Christmas.
But I have been making these Cranberry Orange Cookies every Christmas for years now. And the holidays are the only time I make so I look forward to them all year long.
What You Need
Scroll down for exact measurements!
- Salted butter – let it sit at room temperature until soft
- Sugar – sugar is going both in the cookies and on the cookies!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Dried cranberries
- Orange zest – use a microplane to remove the zest of a fresh orange
How To Make Cranberry Orange Cookies
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine wet ingredients. Using an electric mixer, mix butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Add to butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add cranberries and orange zest. Fold in cranberries and 1 tablespoon orange zest.
- Refrigerate. Chill dough while you make orange sugar.
- Make sugar mixture. Combine ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Use your fingers to rub the 2 together until everything is combined and mixture is fragrant.
- Shape and roll. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in orange sugar. Place on baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake and cool. Bake 10 – 13 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
How Long Are They Good For?
Cranberry Orange Cookies will be fine at room temperature for about a week. Make sure to store them in an airtight container. I store all my cookies in this cute large glass jar because not only does it look cute on the counter, but it’s super airtight.
You can extend the life of these cookies by an extra couple days if you store them in the fridge – make sure to use an airtight container!
Can You Freeze Cookie Dough?
You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it (like in preparation of the holidays). Either freeze it in a large disc or after you roll it into balls. If freezing single balls of dough, freeze on a baking sheet with an inch between each dough ball and once frozen, transfer to a freezer ziploc bag, making sure to squeeze all the air out of the bag.
Cranberry Orange Cookies dough will be good for up to 3 months in the freezer. You can bake them from frozen by adding a few extra minutes to the baking time or let them defrost for several hours in the refrigerator before baking.
Can You Freeze Cranberry Orange Cookies?
To freeze already baked cookies, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then transfer to a freezer ziploc bag.
They will be fine in the freezer for up to up to 3 months. To defrost, let the cookies sit at room temperature until thawed.
More Holiday Cookies
- Italian Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Confetti Cookies
- Candy Cane Blossoms
- Coconut Macaroons
- Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies
- Butterscotch Pudding Cookies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cookies:
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
For the rolling sugar:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using an electric mixer, mix butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in cranberries and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Chill dough while you make orange sugar.
- Combine ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Use your fingers to rub the 2 together until everything is combined and mixture is fragrant.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in orange sugar. Place on baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake 10 - 13 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g