My all-time favorite fruity dessert is a lemon bar. That’s probably pretty evident by the fact that I have 4 or 5 different lemon bar recipes on the blog. I’m obsessed.
Last year I was so pumped to make this raspberry lemon bar that had been circulating the blog world that I actually cried when it turned out to be a huge fail.
Over a lemon bar.
This is my life.
This one, fortunately, didn’t fail and it may be my new favorite. A lemon bar is typically lemon curd on a shortbread crust but these bars start with an oatmeal crust and then have a filling of just lemon juice and sweetened condensed milk. And then – the best part – it’s topped with crumbles of the oat crust.
You guys know I love anything with a crumb topping!
I was totally skeptical because, like I said, the filling is literally just lemon juice and sweetened condensed milk. I didn’t think it would set up and be slice-able. But it really did turn super thick and creamy.
I had more bars than I’d like to admit to.
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick, ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 can, 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add oats and flour to butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Press half of oat crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8x8-inch pan.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Spread onto the bottom layer of the crumb mixture.
- Take the remaining crumb mixture and knead it with your hands to make it crumbly and chunky. Sprinkle this over the lemon mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool for about 30 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g