Homemade Watermelon Sherbet – easy 4 ingredient watermelon sherbet with fresh watermelon puree and mini chocolate chips.
I have always claimed that I don’t like sherbet (I’m just not a fruit dessert person) until I started making my own. My Homemade Orange Sherbet made me love sherbet. I loved it so much that I started making Strawberry Sherbet, too.
This Watermelon Sherbet is my first sherbet of the summer and I’m in love. I got the sweetest, juiciest mini watermelon at Trader Joe’s the other day and it made the most perfect sherbet.
It’s made with only a few simple ingredients that you probably (almost definitely) already have on hands, plus mini chocolate chips to look like watermelon seeds.
Ingredients For Homemade Watermelon Sherbet
- Fresh watermelon
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Whole Milk
- Mini Chocolate Chips
How To Make Watermelon Sherbet
- Combine fresh watermelon puree, sugar, salt and vanilla; whisk until sugar is dissolved
- Whisk in milk
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour
- Freeze according to ice cream machine instructions
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in mini chocolate chips
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze overnight before serving
How To Make Watermelon Puree
To make watermelon puree, put cubes of fresh watermelon (seeds and all!) into a blender and let it go until the mixture is super smooth. Strain it through a fine mesh strainer to get any remaining solids out.
I used half of a mini watermelon to get the amount needed for this watermelon sherbet recipe.
How Long Is Homemade Sherbet Good For?
Homemade sherbet is best within the first week of being made. It’s made with milk instead of cream so the fat content isn’t super high which makes it more likely to develop ice crystals if stored for a long time.
How To Store Homemade Sherbet?
I store all my homemade sherbet and ice cream in that super cute 1.5 quart ice cream container you see a couple pictures up. It’s the same shape as a classic ice cream container so it’s really cute for photos. And did I mention that it’s less than 8 bucks?
You can use any freezer-safe airtight container though. If you don’t think you’re going to eat it quickly, I’d press some plastic wrap along the surface of the sherbet and then put the lid on just to really make sure to keep the air out.
More Watermelon Recipes
- Friendly’s Watermelon Roll Copycat
- Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Watermelon Sorbet
More Easy Frozen Treats
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups watermelon puree
- ½ - 3/4/ cup granulated sugar (taste your watermelon to see how sweet it is)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- To make watermelon puree, blend strawberries in batches until smooth. Press through a fine mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl to remove seeds.
- To the watermelon puree, add sugar, salt, and vanilla. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in milk.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Use a rubber spatula to fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g