Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken – Chinese takeout inspired chicken in a sweet and spicy honey sesame sauce. Cooked in just 4 hours in the slow cooker.
I love fakeout takeout recipes. Chinese takeout is one of my guilty pleasures but it’s obviously not something I need to be doing all the time.
My ultimate favorite is my stovetop Sesame Chicken recipe but sometimes I don’t have time for that so I love this slow cooker option. You just put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook.
No pan frying, no fussy ingredients, and my entire family loves it! Even my picky kid!
How To Make Honey Sesame Chicken
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker
- Whisk together honey, soy sauce, diced onion, ketchup, sesame oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes
- Pour sauce over chicken
- Cook on low 3 – 4 hours or low 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours
- Remove chicken and shred
- Add cornstarch to liquid in slow cooker
- Cook on high for 10 minutes or until thickened
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with soss
- Serve with sesame seeds on top
Can You Freeze Honey Sesame Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze this chicken!
First option is to freeze it uncooked so all you have to do is dump it in your slow cooker. To do that, ad all ingredients except sesame seeds to a ziploc freezer bag (make sure to squeeze as much air out as possible) and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to cook it, defrost overnight in the fridge and pour all contents in the slow cooker. If your chicken is still a bit frozen, it may take longer to cook than the recipe says, closer to 6 hours.
You can also freezer the cooked version by putting the chicken in a ziploc freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove or microwave.
What To Serve with Honey Sesame Chicken?
I always serve it over rice and then we love to drizzle extra sauce on the rice. Plus, a side of roasted broccoli or green beans complete the meal.
I also have a Spicy Coconut Wonton Soup recipe if you really want to make it feel like takeout.
More Takeout Recipes
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Honey Chicken
- String Beans and Minced Pork
- Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken
- Spicy Basil Pork
- Cashew Chicken Casserole
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 -“ 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, leave sauce. Whisk the cornstarch into liquid in the crock pot. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Shred chicken or cut into bite size pieces, then return to pot and coat with sauce. Serve chicken over rice, garnished with sesame seeds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 410mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 25g