Delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Scones with a lemon glaze. These are the perfect spring breakfast!
My kid has pinkeye.
And, like, I knew it was coming when he came home from school on Monday and said, “So-and-so has a pink eye!” Because once one 5 year old has pinkeye, all the 5 year olds are going to have pinkeye.
BUT STILL. Pinkeye is the worst.
And, of course, as soon as I realized he had it, my eye started itching and then I sneezed and realized that it’s just because I had all the windows open and am allergic to everything outside. #blessed
So, yeah, I’ve banned him from going anywhere near his brothers so that maybe we can avoid spreading it to everyone.
Also? Nothing is more frustrating than trying to put drops in a 5 year old’s eyes.
Y’all. Just don’t send your kids to school when they have pinkeye.
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones!
I was scrolling through Twitter over the weekend and saw someone talking about lemon poppy seed scones and have been thinking about them since.
On Sunday night I tore apart my baking cabinet looking for poppy seeds and then on Monday morning I was at HEB at 7:05 am purchasing poppy seeds because all I could think about was scones.
They turned out so beautiful and perfect. They’re crumbly, but in a good way. I like to brush my scones with milk before baking so that they turn out shiny and then sprinkle them with a tiny bit of raw sugar for a crunch and then what’s a scone without a glaze? Ugh, they’re just so good.
PS. Your mom would love these for Mother’s Day.
More Lemon Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Raspberry Curd Filling
- Creamy Lemon Crumb Bars
- Sarasota Lemonade
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Lemon Poppyseed Scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⁄3 cup whole milk, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar, for sprinkling
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ - 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter cubes until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, lemon juice, vanilla, and milk. Pour over the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently press into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 equal pieces and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake 23 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar until no lumps remain. Drizzle over the cooled scones.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 2gSugar: 42gProtein: 9g
that lemon poppy seed looks very good