Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – moist and tender meatloaf wrappd in bacon and topped with a tangy ketchup-based sauce.
Meatloaf is definitely my favorite comfort food and I love trying new recipes so I was very excited to see one in The Pioneer Woman cookbook.
This was one of the best meatloaf recipe I’ve tried. The bacon on top was awesome of course but the real star was the Parmesan cheese. Do not buy the already shredded stuff for this recipe. Grate your own into big chunks so that you get big bites of it every once in awhile.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
This recipe starts by soaking bread in milk. This is what keeps the meatloaf really moist and tender.
The soaked bread gets mixed with ground beef and pork, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and the seasonings. Form into a loaf shape and transfer to the pan.
The recipe suggests using a broiler pan so that the fat drains off but I couldn’t find the top piece of mine (the joys of motherhood) so I use a baking sheet. As soon as I pulled the meatloaf out of the oven I used a couple spatulas to move it to a serving platter and had no problems with the fat.
Top it with slices of raw bacon and then you make a quick sauce of ketchup, brown sugar, and dry mustard to put on top. Bake for 45 minutes, top with more sauce, and bake another 15 minutes. Slice and serve!
What To Serve with Meatloaf
- Bacon Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Broccolini
- Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
- Seasoned Potato Wedges
- Grape Salad
- 7Up Biscuits
- Homemade Crescent Rolls
More Meatloaf Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 cup milk
- 4 bread slices
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Lawry's seasoning salt
- black pepper
- ½ cup parsley, minced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 to 12 thin bacon slices
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour the milk over the bread and allow it to soak in for several minutes.
- Place the ground beef, milk soaked bread, Parmesan cheese, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the eggs. With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which will allow the fat from the meat to drain.
- Lay the bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
- To make the tomato gravy, pour the ketchup into a small mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and dry mustard. Stir the mixture until well combined. Pour ⅓ of the mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another ⅓ of the remaining tomato gravy over the meatloaf. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with the remaining tomato gravy on the side as a dipping sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 629Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 227mgSodium: 1461mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 46g