Blueberry Bran Muffins – healthy and hearty muffins made with Greek yogurt, wheat bran, and fresh blueberries.
I made breakfast!
Oh my gosh, it rained all. weekend. long.
And, like, actual storms. With thunder. We never get storms like that.
I didn’t leave the house a single time. I watched 2 full seasons of Real Housewives of NY, read a book and a half, and made more chicken jerky for the dogs. I desperately needed a weekend of no stress and doing absolutely nothing. It was perfect.
And I had made these muffins during the week so I didn’t even have to worry about making breakfast for anyone.
When I want a muffin, I’m very specific. I either want a really light and fluffy blueberry muffin (always blueberry) or something with a bunch of texture, like a bran muffin.
No other muffins exist in my world.
These Blueberry Bran Muffins are the current weekend breakfast at my house. I’ve made several batches in the last month because everyone loves them.
I know when you think of bran muffins, you probably think of the ones at Starbucks that you could actually kill someone with if you threw it hard enough but these aren’t like that at all.
The wheat bran gives the best texture without making them dense. Plus, the blueberries are so juicy and delicious right now.
I couldn’t find wheat bran at either of my big grocery stores but found a giant bag in the bulk section of Natural Grocers for $.99. So check the bulk area of your health food store. If you still can’t find it, you can always order it.
How To Make Blueberry Bran Muffins
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add yogurt, eggs, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wheat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
- Add four mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined
- Fold in blueberries
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners
- Bake for 25 – 28 minutes, until golden brown
- Cool on wire racks before serving
How Long Are Bran Muffins Good For?
These homemade bran muffins will be fine at room temperature for about 2 days. Make sure to store them in an airtight container.
The muffins will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week. I recommend bringing the muffins to room temperature before you serve them so they go back to their original texture.
Can You Freeze Bran Muffins?
Yes! These bran muffins can be frozen. Make sure you use an airtight container (I use these reusable freezer bags) and consume within 3 months.
You can defrost them on the counter overnight or pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.
More Muffin Recipes
- Pumpkin Apple Muffins
- Pineapple Upside Down Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 7 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 regular sized muffin cups with liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together softened butter and sugar until light and fluff. Add yogurt and eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, beating after each addition.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together wheat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to remove any lumps.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until just combined. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in blueberries.
- Bake 25 - 28 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g